Cowl Screen ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2001, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Cowl Screen ??

Weather permitting, I'll be replacing my heater core tomorrow. I remember reading on the other list a long time ago about using screening between the cowl and the duct gasket. It sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure if the screen sandwiched between the gasket and the cowl will give any kind of seal. Any thoughts on this? Cleaning the heater core is easy enough, but that only treats the symptom, not the disease.

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2001, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Cowl Screen ??

BTW... I was concerned about the quality of the heater core I was getting from Auto Zone. Even with a lifetime warranty, who wants to pull everything out twice. The core I received from AZ was a GDI (Go Dan Industries # 39-8331) for $52. Farrrrrrrr cheaper than anywhere else I looked.....
Not too shabby.......

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2001, 07:36 PM

I recently cleaned my heater core out and now I can roast nuts --literally! My heater gets so hot I can only keep it on low and sometimes I still have to open the window. Whomever wants to complain about the heat in a Sami only needs to ride around in mine for the day then they'll just realize that everything needs a GOOD cleaning.

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case, 31 BFG M/T knock offs, extended shackles (1.6 - 8V eventually) AARRRRRRRG!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2001, 11:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I put screens in every truck I work on for the heat problem and what i do is put a small bead of silicone on the seal first and then squish the screen on. Then use the housing clips to hold the screen in place (don't pull the screen to tight) then run one more bead around the screen and put it in place. this works great and I recomend it anyone that is going to rip out the box to do a cleaning.

Manitoba Trail Masters
Brent

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2001, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Yodazuk, you gave me an idea.... I cut my screen (brass) to the inside lip dimension and then carefully installed the gasket. This way the gasket holds the screen in place. I then took silicone and ran a bead betweeen the gasket and the screen to secure it. When I install the unit, I'll run another bead of silicone on the gasket. So far, so good. Thanks for the idea....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 12:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Only porblem with that is the leaves and such can drop below the top cowl and still be a pain to get out.But if you put it on the outside of the seal then it is right up against the cowl and nothing falls in.....good luck!!

Manitoba Trail Masters
Brent

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode