Sidekick vs. Samurai - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 05:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sidekick vs. Samurai

There seems to be a preference for Samurai over Sidekicks... Why? The Sidekick seems to have many components that are coveted by Samurai owners (ex: 1.6L engine, stronger third member, coil springs...)

I understand the greatest drawback to the Sidekick is IFS... but wouldn't it be easier to swap in a solid front axle into a Sidekick than swapping all the other parts into a Samurai?

Is there more to it? Am I missing something?

Just questions from a guy trying to decide what vehicle he should purchase for a project

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 05:36 PM

Re: Sidekick vs. Samurai

The Sidekick/Tracker is more expensive than the Samurai, and is more 'carlike' in appearance & appointments. The Sidekick can be made into a very capable offroad machine with a straight-axle swap, but it is not easy & would be expensive to have done.

OILBURNER [email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

true there is not many vehicles that can have a SPOA done for a possible 20 bucks!! I love sammies!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 11:07 PM

No your not missing anything. The tracker i think is the next wave of off roading swb rigs. I am doing the same thing, swapping a solid axle under a tracker and wheeling it. Getting ready for next years build up.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 11:18 PM

there area lot of guys down here that use the sidekicks for mudy traails , they do real good
TW

Home Pagehttp://home.talkcity.com/SparkplugSt/trailwalker1/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2001, 01:56 AM

I think the biggest reason for Sammi of Kick is price. I've got a Sidekick Sport and LOVE it. It's got a 1.8, so there's plenty of power, and a 4 speed auto tranny. It cost me $10,000 tho', and parts are expensive, so I have to be really carefull with it.
Here are a couple of pics of my Zuki having fun:

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2001, 09:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The first thing that makes Sami's more attractive, is that they are much more popular off-road, so more companies make "add-on" parts for them, and there's more competition for our hard earned dollars. The second benefit they have is that you don't have to deal with the Independent Front Suspension.

That said, I think it has a lot to do with your driving tastes. I LOVE my Sidekick. It's a four door, and they only come in hard-top, so modifying it to at least put in a sun-roof is a big help. If you live in cold country (oh, are you in the TROPICAL part of Canada?), the Sidekick may have an advantage over even the tin-top Sami's - it's better insulated. Well, OK, in my humble opinion, ALL Suzuki products SUCK, when it comes to defrosting your windshield at -20 F (umm... that's minus 29 C). I've had a '91 4-door Sidekick, a '92 4-door Sidekick, traded them in on a pair of '95 4-door Sidekicks, and traded one of THOSE in on a '99 Grand Vitara. If you drive in cold country, get on line to Jacobs Electronics, and get one of their windshield washer fluid heaters. That looks like the only way to keep the glass clean, to me.

My '95 is now getting 30 miles per gallon (geez, Canada's metric, right? That's 12.75 KM per Liter, or 7.8 Liters per 100 KM), and with 117,000 miles (about 189,000 KM) on it, it's still running strong.

Bob

95 'Kick 4 Door - Calmini header & exhaust = mo' power! YES!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2001, 09:57 AM
Can't Get Enough

How in hell do you do a SPOA for $20!?

Bill Forrest!!............Off-Road Champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2001, 10:05 AM

I've got to jump on this one. The sammy have a frame that is durable. Square tube with tube crossovers. Leaf spring, solid axle. Yes a little underpowered, but I use my zuk for moving the family AND hauling 800+lbs(that would be 1760 Kgs) of gravel(redoing driveway) daily up a 20 deg. grade as well as concrete daily. Cold weather? It's not the best, but right now I have no passenger window(rollover incident) and I wouldn't change vehicles for the world. I rolled my zuki and pushed it back over and drove it home, I BET you couldn't do the same with a sidekick, the damage would be TOOO great. Sorry if I'm a bit passionate about this issue, but a better vehicle does not exist!

The world looks different when your rubber side up!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2001, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Geez, Shawn, you're absolutely right on that one. I'm driving a hard-shell, that would NOT like to be rolled. I think the Sidekick frame is every bit as strong as the Samurai frame (and the Grand Vitara, for that matter), but the Sami's got the simplest bucket for carrying your body.

If you're not a serious hard-core 4 wheeler (I'm not YET), and you like your creature comforts, the Sidekick is very attractive. If you look at your ride the way you look at the ball in a pinball machine, the Sami is the way to go. Worst case, you just rip the body off, and bolt the seats to the frame, and keep going, eh?

Bob

95 'Kick 4 Door - Calmini header & exhaust = mo' power! YES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode