Dielectric Grease ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Dielectric Grease ??

Can someone explain how dielectric grease works? If it is non conductive and it gets on contact points, I would think that the circuit would remain open. What's the skinny on it? Thanks....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dielectric Grease ??

Now I am no expert here, but I have tried this thing out too. I believe, the idea is to get a postive contact, then grease around that to prevent any shorting or air getting to the contacts. However, there is a problem. I used this on some mercury switches that controlled the inertia reals on my 4 point harnesses. The theory......since the switches were mounted near the floor just behind the seats.....smear some dielectric grease on the crimp connectors to keep any water or gunk out. This worked just fine, until some of that grease found it's way into the switches. This made them very irratic, as far as their ability to reliably pass 12v to my belts! This is needed to allow the inertia reals to move! This was most inconvenient. And the fix for my problem was 2 new mercury switches, and well cleaned connectors! So, I think if you have a REALLY Positive contact, the grease isn't bad. I think it was bad at these switches!
Hope this helps

Andy Feingold
88.5 Samurai, SPOA,Rancho springs, Rocklobster, full cage, Schroth Harness belts, EZ locker, 32x10.50 Swampers, on board air, Weber, header etc...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 11:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have used it on every plug wire connector for years with no problems. also for trailer wiring connectors etc. i think when the metal to metal comes in contact it will allow the current to flow freely but prevents moisture and air to get to the connectors to prolong life.......

build it, break it, then build it better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 12:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Die, electic grease!! Die!

Couldn't resist.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks!I am now enlightened!

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 10:56 AM

CrowHorse,
I have been away from the BBS for about 6 months(divorce=homeless=new start). I am glad to see you on the board again, your voice of reason is insightful and adds rational to the everyday. Your question about dielectric grease I hope I can answer(I have an AA in electronics). In a capacitor(i.e. condenser), you have thin films of metal rolled up with with a dielectric(air, mylar, plastic wax, etc.). The voltage builds up like a charge until the dielectric breaks down and allows the voltage to pass, thus a higher burst of voltage. The grease does much the same thing, except also keeps out moisture and dirt. This is why it causes resistance for low voltage applications(mercury switches), but for high current/voltage applications, it works great. I hope this answers your question. When I go up to the Island to see my siblings, I hope to hook up with you and tear up some beach with my Zuki's tires. Later bro.

The world looks different when your rubber side up!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for your kind words Shawn.... When you are up in this neck of the woods, let me know and we'll hook up. As far as the beaches are concerned, tearing them up is now in the book of no. The beaches have been hit badly with storms and errosion is a problem as is avoiding piping plovers (endangered species). They only issue beach permits to "bona fida" fisherman and the beaches are patroled to make sure all comply with the regulations. There is even a speed limit on the beach. Some beaches (FINS), restrict tire size. Given the population density, I suppose they must be very restrictive. Twenty five years ago, I could drive from William Floyd Pkwy. to Moriches Inlet via the beach, a good 5 miles or more on world class beaches. No more. Erosion has taken it's toll and the barrier beach has breached several times. I'm not even sure if Burma Road extends to the inlet now.

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode