Install help: 302/C4? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 05:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Install help: 302/C4?

Hey Fellas,
From what Brian tells me, the 350/Turbo 350 combo is too long to be able to use the t-case in its stock location! What about a 302/C4 combo. I know that the motor has a couple of swap advantages, the dist, being up front and the motor being narrower at the heads than a Chevy, but what about the length of a C4? Obviously I would need a 2wd tranny to hook it up to the t-case via a modified prop shaft. Is there a short-shaft version as with the GM tranny? Does anyone know the lengths or where to look them up? Has anyone here done the swap? Help!

Wahoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 06:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Install help: 302/C4?

Well I have not told anyone yet but there is this junk yard that sells engines for about 50 bucks!! so I gonna look for a ford pick up with a 302 and take the tranny and ford 9" rear out of it(hell if he sells engines for 50 bucks there is no tellin how cheap all the other crap will be!! from takin the measurements and such I am goin to trim my fender wells but the very bottom of them and I already have a b lift on it! I will have to sell my entire drivetrain if everything works out! it is such a beautiful drivetrain too!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-549080-engine.jpg (61.0 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 08:07 PM

who is going to buy a 2WD drivetrain?

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 09:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

huh? no way someone will buy the f axle n xfer case but hell I have a nice EFI engine and tranny and good rear axle(never been off-road or really abused cause how the hell could I with a 2wd!!) and the front discs will please somebodies taste!

Thanx
Studly
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 01:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the 302 will fit. i have seen one in there. and i believe that some company called wild west or someting installs ford v-6 engines with the c-4. i think the use a v-8 c-6 tailshaft on the c-4 to shorten it up alot. someone here can help you out with their info. if that don't work, my dad has a willis witha 302/ t-90/dana 18 combo. it's the same wheelbase as the zook so it should be similiar and the t-case is alot strongr and it is offset front and rear.

87 sammy (RAIL BUGGY) PROJECT 50 % complete. isuzu/chevy luv motor, auto tranny, 2 t-cases nissan/zook 7.5:1,tube chassis,4link vw rabbit coils rear,36"tsl's, 1/2 ton GM axles welded.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 01:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

also,.... you could use a granny gear ford manual tranny out of a 2 wheel drive. they are tall but very short. the tranny without the bell housing is only around 12 to 14" long and super stout.

87 sammy (RAIL BUGGY) PROJECT 50 % complete. isuzu/chevy luv motor, auto tranny, 2 t-cases nissan/zook 7.5:1,tube chassis,4link vw rabbit coils rear,36"tsl's, 1/2 ton GM axles welded.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 03:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Yeah, it is too long but you can always make your own t-case mount for it! or just move it back a bit. Don't know why you want to keep the stock t-case with a 350 engine? That engine is too much for the little t-case. I've tried to e-mail my friend John and I think he deployed somewhere over here too? So, if you want some answers about the 350 swap and 350 auto trans, then give Suzuki Lightning Conversions a call and Ask for Jerry
Call 1-800-839-6150
He knows everything about the swap and has done many of them!
Here is one of his rigs...

-Brian

ULTIMATE ZUK
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 05:07 AM
Addict

The trany you want is a short shaft c4 found in the early 70's or late 60's trucks or econoline vans with a 302 or straight 6. it has a bolt on rear yolk and is about 24" long including the bellhousing. you will still need to move the tcase back an inch or to. depending on how you place the motor. I am not sure that the zuki tcase would hold up to the power but, i don't know. i have a ford 2.8 in mine with the short shaft c4 and it fits really nice, if you do the 302 let me know how it turns out. one thing to think about though(which i did not) is that the zuki tcase isn't a 1:1 in high, so if you use it your motor will rev kinda high at highway speeds.

1990 samurai spoa
2.8 V6 and c4 auto
33" thornbirds
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 07:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wow zuk jr that is one TIGHT fit man how is the rad crammed in the front or somewhere else??

Thanx
Studly
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 07:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would use a d300 or d20 but the d20 is the cheaper one for what you get and for 20 bucks you can make it dual stick!

Thanx
Studly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode