Optima Battery Red Top for Samurai - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 02:12 PM
ronin

Optima Battery Red Top for Samurai

Anybody who runs a Optima Red Top Battery have the model number they use handy? Do I need to do anything to my stock electrical system to run one? i eventually am going to add a winch and some accessory lights. My current battery is about to go, so I thought I would go ahead and get an Optima and be done with it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 06:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Optima Battery Red Top for Samurai

Hey Ronin,
My Optima says "Optima 800u", and P/N #0060....but I don't think there are a whole lot of sized to pick from! I would highly recommend Optima. My red top has the date on top....I got it in 1994! It has been flat so many times I can't remember them all, and still holds a good charge. We swapped in a Petroworks GM alternator kit last year, and now she is getting fully charged again, and is very happy!
Hope this helps

Andy Feingold
88.5 Samurai, SPOA,Rancho springs, Rocklobster, full cage, Schroth Harness belts, EZ locker, 32x10.50 Swampers, on board air, Weber, header etc...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 09:50 PM
Old Hand

I just bought the one that the local auto parts store stocked. I didn't know there were different red-tops. I have a Delco alternator, but i don't know if it is even necessary. I try without the delco first and only install one if it was needed.

-Ryan
'88 Sami. Moderately modified. Two track mind
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 09:56 PM
ronin

Thanks for the replies. I think that is the same part number on the one at the local parts store. I'll check when I go back tomorrow, I have to return my old starter to get my core charge back. Might go ahead and get me the new battery while I am at it. Don't know how much longer my old one will hold out. Will the stock Samurai alternator be enough to charge the Optima though? I am not really up on the electrical stuff yet[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I ran the Optima for years with the stock alternator....there is plenty of juice to keep a battery charged with the stock set up if the alt is healthy. Mine just died a slow death this past year...and it really wasn't keeping the battery well charged....but that was after 140k miles or so......

Andy Feingold
88.5 Samurai, SPOA,Rancho springs, Rocklobster, full cage, Schroth Harness belts, EZ locker, 32x10.50 Swampers, on board air, Weber, header etc...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 10:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a smaller than normal optima red top that is different than all the ones I have seen and I have not seen it yet again in anyone elses rigs. It charges with no problem despite my alternator has been burning up a bearing. the model #: 75/35-925
46Ah. C/20
Hope this helps.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 06:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

ronin, whats wrong with the starter? I've had a couple "bad" starters, its always been crud in the selnoid. Takes about 5 minutes to clean out then lasts a year or so. Just pop it off, remove the plunger and clean it off. If the core charge is not to much $, just fix it and keep it as a spare.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 01:11 PM
ronin

Well, my current starter was getting to the point where it wouldn't do anything when you turned the key. I decided to just replace it with a new one. As things go out I am just replacing stuff with brand new hardware. The guy I bought my rig from has done some "questionable" repair work to nearly everything as I am now learning. For instance, I found out once I got the starter out, one of the wires leading to it had broke. Rather than fixing it the guy just tied a knot into the cable and rolled 3/4 of a roll of electrical tape around it. When I started removing the tape, the cable just fell in two. Unfortunately, I had already bought my new starter when I found the wire. My old starter may actually still be good. I'll get em to test it today when I take it back. The core was only $30, so if it is good, I may just hang on to it. As for the strength of my Altenator, it was whinning like crazy. Bearings had gone bad. Replaced it about 2 weeks ago with a brand new unit so I know it is strong.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i had an optima red top in my 1978 chevy blazer, warrantied it at NAPA for a brand new one, and they said the same one would work in my ZUK, so i put it in the Zuk, and man what a difference...they told me no mods needed, it just provides WAY more cold crank amps, and you can flip it (the battery, hopefully not your rig) and it won't spill!!!

NastyPimp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode