questions about missing link suspension - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

questions about missing link suspension

Im checking around on missing link shackles. Their are different lenghts of shackles when closed, and when opened.

Im doing rear sami springs up front, and cj springs in the rear. How do I know which shackle will work best, and at what length?

I also hear alot about rancho shocks with adjustable dampening. I think this is the way I want to go on shocks, but again I dont know enough about these shocks to form an opinion. Anyone running this setup that could help me a little?

Jim

88 sami 4.5 spoa. 2 inch body lift. 33 12.50's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 01:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: questions about missing link suspension

We carry 1" taller and 2" taller Missing Links depending on the lift you want.

We did pioneer the whole Missing Link/dual shackle thing and have had ALOT of time to experiment and reengineer them to perfection. We have determined that the optimal front and rear Missing Links are not the same length and so size them accordingly.

Our anti-inversion system is also the most bomb-proof design I've seen on the market. Its not a simple piece of 1/4" round stock that could bend or snap a weld. The construction of our shackle system makes the shackle itself the 'bumpstop' for hyperextension prevention.

If you have any questions on Missing Links, please feel free to call us and/or email me direct
[email protected]

http:// www.rocky-road.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 01:56 PM
Can't Get Enough

Tim Hendra?

Bill Forrest!!............Off-Road Champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As it states on our website, I got the idea for the original dual shacle from him. We give credit where credit is due.
http://www.rocky-road.com/zuklink.html

The design has come A LOOOOONG way since then!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Will I have to extend my frame to run these shackles? Do they need bumpstops when closed to rest on?

Jim

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 10:56 AM
Can't Get Enough

That's cool Glenn I never noticed that note at the bottom this whole time, is it new? I do agree that if credit is due it should be given. I remember the 4wheel&offroad article on that run. I hate the fact people are making money off other peoples designs without acknowledging that they where the first.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 10:59 AM
Can't Get Enough

Yes they do, some Vedors sell those with the shackles and some don't. Ask 1st or else you will be fabbing some.
**Note some bumpers will alow a spot to "sit" on.**

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, that note about Timbo has been up for quite some time. I don't think anyone else has recognized his contribution in this area.

We've done alot of tinkering over the years though to get the Missing Link formula just right. Some of the other dual shackles I've seen out there just look like a double shackle, doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to their lengths.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies. Im on a learning curve here, and trying to make some decisions.

Thanks again for taking the time to post and help,
Jim

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 12:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

*snip*
I also hear alot about rancho shocks with adjustable dampening. I think this is the way I want to go on shocks, but again I dont know enough about these shocks to form an opinion. Anyone running this setup that could help me a little?
================================================== ==========
i assume your referring to the rancho 9000 series 5 way adjustable shocks. all i can say is their the absolute best IF you have a double duty rig and want to be pampered some. i enjoy my comfort so i now run YJ suspension with 9010s in the rear and 9012s in the front. turn them down on soft, rides better than a cadilac on the trails, turn them up to stiff, its actually too stiff for a zuk, have to back em off one notch from stiff or i will be bouncing tires off the ground. back em off one notch, my rig handles like a porsche, accept for the fact i sit just a little taller than a porsche. oh well, always draw backs to 33s huh? it depends on your use of the rig man. i drive mine every day on the street, so comfort is of the utmost importance to me. anybody who has riden in it can tell ya, its sweeeeet. plus on the trail, ive been known to thrash it a lil bit. and it still rides sweet on the trail too. but it comes with a hefty price for the 9000s. they seem to average $75 a piece. yes, i know there are places cheaper, and also have sales, just have to watch for them. but like i said, if you got a double duty rig and really enjoy your comfort, their going to make a world of difference.
gotta love em.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode