Lockers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 02:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lockers

I'm thinking about installing the Lock-Right locker in the rear of my '86 sammi.
Should I order the standard locker, or get the one with the couplers?
I think I read something either hear or somewhere else about having to grind a ridge of the new couplers, and that they made more noise. Or was that some other product?

<A HREF="http://tkendig.tripod.com/suzuki.htm" target="_new">
Da Zuk tkendig.tripod.com/suzuki.htm</A>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 04:09 AM

Re: Lockers

What do your side gears look like? I installed a lock-Right in the rear of my '88 in Jan. My zuk had about 124K on it and the side gears looked almost new, very little wear. Chances are your side gears are ok, so you should be able to save some money and get it without the couplers.

Moozuki's home page

http://members.home.net/cryburn
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 07:28 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The Lock-Right 1530 comes with replacement side gears, while the 1510 uses the existing side gears. Both are qite different in design. The 1510 can not be used with 1530 side gears.

My advice, avoid the 1530 like the plague. Noisy and very touchy to any bend in the tube. Go for the 1510. IF your sidegears are toast, buy new ones from Suzuki. You will need to bench grind or turn down a small ridge to make them work. Or call Petroworks, they will sell them to you with the ridge already removed.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 10:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

On my zook with 106k on the clock the side couplers were well worn only on ONE side. The condition of the back side on the side couplers was ok. They show a picture of some worn side couplers, some very worn couplers (like mine were on ONE side), and some brand new couplers. Unless you've driven 20,000 miles in reverse, ONE side of the side couplers should be a-ok. The key is to swap the gears from either side (it is like you're using the fresh/less worn side of the gear tooth for forward motion vs. before it was usd on reverse and downshifting.
Driving with a locker is a good bit different. The back end will only be driven with one wheel until the other wheel catches up or slows down enough to engage again. You'll feel the back end lots more! The left or the right side will lift more than the other side during normal acceleration in the lower gears. RE: the side gear swap; I had some uneasyness about swaping the gears. I thought by doing the swap, the locker would be prone to unlocking in reverse since that side of the gear is nice and smooth with nothing at all to grip.
They do add lots of traction, they are not hard to install (takes about 6 or so hours), and they will take time to get used to them.
note: I am using synthetic oil in mine. I can hear the clicking when going around tight turns and when in neutral moving around in parking lots. Every now and then, I'll hear a loud chlunk! Sometimes the locker freaks out and engages and disengages rather roughly..

I'm LOCKED!
Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

NOTE: You'll only have to grind down the ridge on the newer type side gears. If you use your original side gears or some original side gears from an '86 - '92 model this is not necessary.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 12:16 PM
Can't Get Enough

You said: {I can hear the clicking when going around tight turns and when in neutral moving around in parking lots. Every now and then, I'll hear a loud chlunk!
Sometimes the locker freaks out and engages and disengages rather roughly.}

Like wow, mine clicks alot. It not only freaks out sometimes and gives a big CLUNK, but my passengers look at me as if "What just broke?" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
I just say: "Nothin' - that's just my locker reminding me it's there and ready for action." [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Scott Trester - '88.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 01:07 PM
Can't Get Enough

IMOP get the standard Lockright and use your stock side gears. any bend in the axle tube, the couplers will pop a lot to the point that they strip out. A loud bang is normal now and then just adjust your driving style a little, coast around corners and such and you'll be fine.

Bill Forrest!!............Off-Road Champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you all for the information. The no coupler (1510) have it. That's what I'll get if I go that way. Still would rather have LSD, but the dollar difference is BIG.

<A HREF="http://tkendig.tripod.com/suzuki.htm" target="_new">
Da Zuk tkendig.tripod.com/suzuki.htm</A>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode