Rocky Road or Calmini? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 09:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rocky Road or Calmini?

I want to lift my '95 4 door Sidekick.

Does anybody have any personal experience with the Rocky Road 2-1/2" OME lift, or the Calmini 2" or 3" lift? Is there anybody out there that can give me an experienced pro/con for each one? I've talked with both vendors, and they both say theirs is the best (well naturally). Either way, that's a big hunk of change, and I'd like the opinions of somebody that actually has installed and driven these things!

Thanks for your feedback.

Bob

95 'Kick 4 Door - Calmini header & exhaust = mo' power! YES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rocky Road or Calmini?

I'll be the first to admit that "our" suspension is not ours. It is Old Man Emu's suspension. Old Man Emu is world famous for having the best riding suspensions on the planet. They are not some spring company contracted to twist a coil for the lowest cost. They are the leaders in spring technology.

Same goes for their shocks. Not some generic shock built for 30 different vehicles that also happens to fit the Sidekick. Old Man Emu's shocks are built specifically for each vehicle, its weight, handling characteristics, flex, etc.

Do a search on this (or any Suzuki board) and you'll see gripes and problems with springs from some of the other manufacturers. You'll never see a gripe about the OME suspension though. You'll know you did it right the first time with OME.

More info on OME shocks at http://www.rocky-road.com/omeshocks.html
More info on the engineering behind OME springs at http://www.rocky-road.com/omesprings.html

Any specific questions, feel free to email me direct.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just stay far away from Calmini Suspension. Talk about no flex. Everyone I know who has one hates them. I would go with no springs at all before putting Calmini on my rig. In fact if you had no suspension it might be a softer ride.

Jason

"Where the land and my Zook meet, my spirit soars, my soul is alive, and my life has true meaning."
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Glenn,

Well you're absolutely right about OME - I haven't seen any bad press on their stuff.

On another note, you have been very quick to respond to my questions, and answered them all well. The folks at Calmini can't even answer my e-mail on the problems I had installing my High Performance Exhaust kit - shoot, you think they'd respond to people who have already given them money, eh? And you keep responding, when you haven't gotten one red cent from me YET. I have to admit, you have better customer service skills! You get a lot of points for that!

Now, if I can just get some feedback on what "joe customer" has to say about ease of installation, and satisfaction, and stuff like that, I'll be a happy camper!

Thx
Bob

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, that's what I'm talking about. Can you get any of them to say it? In this whole search, I've never heard anybody say "I had a good/bad experience", it's always "I know somebody who says..."

Thx
Bob

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

>On another note, you have been very quick to respond to my questions, and answered them all well. The folks at Calmini can't even answer my e-mail on the problems I had installing my High Performance Exhaust kit - shoot, you think they'd

Thank you. I actually enjoy chatting about Suzuki stuff. It comes from being an actual Suzuki enthusiast (junkee really)... not just being in it for "the buck". I do spend several hours every day answering hundreds of emails about Suzukis and Cherokees related not only to our products, but just technical topics in general. Same reason we donate time to building trails and do things like help change lift laws in Utah.

It boils down to really caring about the sport of 4wheeling.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 11:10 AM
Skip

I have had the OME 2 1/2 springs in for about 4 years. The ride was noticably softer and still is. They have not sagged or warped and I think they carry a lifetime warranty against warping. At about the same time I installed OME springs another guy put in the Calmini springs. This person is a very strong supporter of Calmini and he admiited that OME's are a far superior ride to the Calmini springs.

Skip
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 11:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I do not own any OME products so I can't comment on that.

But I do have the Calmini 2.5" suspension for the Grand Vitara and love it. As for off-road capability, it has made a great improvement. I've seen both the 2" and 3" Kick kits in action, and was quite impressed with the 3" performance. There are many similarities between the Kick and GV kits.

The one issue that truly made me choose the Calmini set-up was caster/camber issues. Both the Kick and GV are IFS, with the only alignment correction being toe in/out. If you significantly lift the vehicle, it will negatively affect your alignment. The only correct way to compensate for this is to redesign the lower control arm. It is common for many other brands of lifts (Rancho, Fabtech, etc) that outfit other IFS trucks, such as Toyotas, to redesign the control arms to overcome this issue. And my impression of the Calmini control arms? Beefy. Pure and simple. They make the stock ones look like cheap Jap crap. The Calmini units also have a replaceable Moog ball joint, unlike the stock unit, which must be replaced in it's entirety when the ball joint wears out.

Obtaining lift by springs only does not address this. Adding coil spacers only compounds the problem.

You also need relocation brackets for the rear panhard bar otherwise the geometry will not be correct. Along with a needed longer brake line in the rear. These come in the Calmini system for the GV. With regards to the Kick system, its a little different, but there are longer replacement lower trailing arms, rear driveshaft spacer and a redesigned center V link with a Heim joint. It really is a well thought-out kit IMHO.

With regards to the shocks/struts, the ones on my GV kit have the same valving and dampening rates as stock units.

Calmini also offers a steering/strut brace and a reinforcement bracket for the steering doo-hicky. Very important add-ons if you will be running big sneakers

I've dealt with Calmini for many years and have had no problems whatsoever. If I need to speak with them, they are always just an 800 phone call away.

This is just my opinion as a Calmini system owner. What ever kit or system you choose, do your homework and make sure you get the best value and performance for your bucks.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 07:05 PM
Skip

Ooops I didn't notice the question was for coils. My experience is with leafs. Driving lag after not being able to get a flight out of NY and driving from NY to Seattle in 2 12 days

Skip
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 07:34 PM

If I was building a Kick or tracker I would use the Calmini brackets and a-arms with the OME springs. This sounds like the best set up!?! and maybe a little body lift to clear 31"s

88 Zuk
locked and loaded
http://www.zukin.homestead.com/main.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode