I still have a wobble and I am going crazy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 08:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I still have a wobble and I am going crazy

Hey Guys,
Man Have I been having some problems. I can't for the life of me get the wobble out of my front end. I have balanced tires and changed all the bearing and now all that I have left is to rebuilt the kuckels. If I don't get this fixed I am not going to make it to any events. Any ideas from you guys?

"Where the land and my Zook meet, my spirit soars, my soul is alive, and my life has true meaning."
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 08:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: I still have a wobble and I am going crazy

Well, if you're going crazy, maybe there ISN'T a wobble in your front end - it's all in your head! Sorry, I can't give you any "real" advice on this, just the smart a$$ response.

95 'Kick 4 Door - Calmini header & exhaust = mo' power! YES!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 09:07 AM

From what I understand, the knuckles are the trick. Make sure to check the upper and lower “kingpin” bearings. Remember that the knuckle seal has a lot to do with the steering damping.
IMHO, Bobcat.

<font color=red>America . . .</font color=red><font color=black>. . Love It of Leave It !</font color=black> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 09:16 AM

Jason,

I checked your web page, but didn't really see a detailed description on your suspension modifications, but it looks like you have a basic spring-over lift. Without knowing all the details, have you checked your steering stabilizer, checked for slop in all your linkage (including steering box) and finally, rebuild those knuckles. You may be surprised how much difference new seals & felts will make.

Good Luck,

OILBURNER [email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a standard SPOA. I have two steering stabs and no idea about the condition of the knuckles.

"Where the land and my Zook meet, my spirit soars, my soul is alive, and my life has true meaning."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same thing on our Orange Zuk. Death wobble at a certain speed range.
-I had the tires rebalanced at 3 different shops
-Rotated the all the tires around
-Changed the kingpins and bearings
-Changed out the wheels bearings
-Changed out the hubs to brand new factory ones (changed axles at the same time too for the heck of it)
-I actually changed out the entire axle housing and put all new components on it

The only constant was the tires and wheels, though I'd exhausted efforts there (Centerline HTII's with TSL SX Swampers). I finally decided it was nothing mechanical and could not be fixed. It was just an evil demon that had decided to posess my vehicle. Not being a religious person, I felt spending money on an excorcism might be a waste.

I finally cried 'Uncle' and threw a panhard on. It was difficult too I might add because of the VW TD and the shape of its oil pan. I made it work though, and the vehicle has driven like a dream ever since.

The demon probably still lives in the vehicle, but he's also probably really pissed off that the panhard bar locks out his little fun game of Death Wobble.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 12:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Changing the rubber seals and adjusting the adjuster screw on top of the steering gear box helps lots. Check your steering doughnut too..

I'm LOCKED!
Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 01:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is only the drivers front that is wobbleing. I should have mentioned that it is intementent @ speeds over 40 MPH. So some times at 45 it does it and sometimes it does not. I am at a total lose on why. Also at lunch today I graped the tire from the top and pulled it back and forth. It made a clunk feeling. Not a sound but a feel. I know that the bearings are good they are new and I have rechecked the torque. (not to mention I used to do bearing for a living) Maybe it is a bad shock? I have also rotated the tires. Oh yea and with that clunk feel I can not replicate it with the Zuk jacked and the tire off. Any Ideas?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 01:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Have you done your kingpin bearings Yet? Sounds like that is what is bad. When it is jacked up put your hand on the
knuckle and the ball and wiggle the tire and see if it moves.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 02:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where can I get some king pin bearings without ordering a whole rebuild kit. The reason being that I don't need new wheel bearigs, and those are at the cheapest 20 each. Mine are new and I don't want to buy them again. I would also like to get the felts and seals.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode