Front axle forward 1 inch pros and cons? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Front axle forward 1 inch pros and cons?

Right now im just spoa 4.5 inch and 2 inch body lift. 33 12.50's on 10 inch wheels with a 2 inch back space. I have very little turning radius before I rub the rocker panels behind the front tires.

Ive seen plates made by spidertrax that move the front axle forward 1 inch, and IVe been reading about rear springs up front, and cj springs in the rear, which will give me more flex. Ive also considered taking my plasma cutter and removing a bit of metal in that rocker area, but im just unsure of how I want to go about it. Ive got a z link that I made myself now, and will moving the front axle foward 1 inch create any new front suspension problems?

Ive been in the archives the last 2 days looking at rears up front, and cj's in the rear. Anyone with some advice, or a link where I could do some more reading on this before I jump in? Im also getting ready for my toyota engine swap, and would rather be working on the engine swap than getting into the spring swap. The plates would be a quick fix to get my steering back, but if im going to drop the axles for plates, I might as well add the springs and go after the flex.

Thanks for the help.
Jim

88 sami spoa. 33 12.50's. Body lift and Toyota Hemi coming soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 11:27 AM

Re: Front axle forward 1 inch pros and cons?

You have already listed the biggest advantage to moving the axle forward slightly. That little bit of extra clearance before hitting the rear of the fender. You will also get a little more stability from a slightly longer wheelbase. One con would have to be that you may need to extend your front driveshaft.

4.5 inches for 33's doesn't seem like enough lift to me. I'm running 9 inches and have 31's on there. The only time that I rub is when I am turning and have a tire stuffed. I plan on cutting out the rear section of the front wheelwell to get rid of this problem.

If I were you, I would do the spring swap. My brother just swapped over to the rear up front, CJ rear with missing links and ended up getting a few inches of lift in the process. Between that and your spring over you should have plenty of room to clear on the road. You will still have the clearance issues when off-road though.

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks MM,

Ive spent quite a bit of time on your site reading articles. Rear up front would be first, followed by the cj's in the rear a little later. Are the rear springs longer than the front? From what ive read, this isnt just a bolt on. What do I need to do to address the front shackle?

Jim

88 sami 4.5 spoa. 2 inch body lift. 33 12.50's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 11:42 AM

Toywagon, I run rears up front and it moved my axle forward about an inch. I run 33" BFG Mud T/As and they touch ever now and then. I am even running a shackle reversal. I am sure there are some cons but I have yet to see them. I run the standard SPOA setup.

Marc Haught
[email protected]
www.serioussami.rockcrawler.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 11:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Moving the axle forward 1" will require a driveshaft spacer or an extended slip yoke.

Going with an extended slip yoke AND moving the axle forward and inch will reduce the u-joint angles. That's a good thing.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 12:59 PM

How does one go about doing the rear to front swap? If I use the RRO kit it places the front axles in the same location correct? What if I want the front axle moved forward say an inch or so?? Can I just swap in the rear spring into the stock spring bracket and where does it line up the axle? What do you do with the shackle end? is a M/L all you need up there?

93 Tracker, ProComp, Calmini, 31's, Thorley, K&N, etc..., aka the donor. Looking for a donee..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 02:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm interested in doing this mod also. Drilling a new hole on the spring perch and bolting everything up was the procedute I was told a while back. WHat should I do? I've got a stocker I'm going to work on also..

I'm LOCKED!
Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 02:43 PM

The springs lengths are 37" zuk front, 39" zuk rear, 42"? CJ front, 46" YJ front and rear.

My brother got the parts to do his swap from Tusker on the pirate4x4 board. He put the rears up front and ran a missing link shackle with some bumpstops on his front bumper (not stock). He also drilled out a new center hole on the ubolt plates and axle pad to move the front forward one inch.

To put the rears up front you will need some missing link shackles. You might also need longer brakelines depending on how long yours are now. The added droop from the missing links might cause a problem. Also shocks might be in order.

My brother hasn't finished his yet so I can't say how it rides or performs off-road yet.

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 03:32 PM

I am running CJ's in rear and rear zuks upfront, M/L's, 33x12.50's on 2" BS rims. The only time it rubs is when stuffed and turned to the left or right. Catches the back corner of the front wheel well, outside edge of tire is where it will rub at. The old sawzall is about to cure that though! Used TT parts when i did the SPOA,spring swap,M/L's

87 Samurai- 5.12's locked up,4340 front,hybrid rear,4.16's,P/S.,Toy. carb.,DT header, 33's, 2" exhaust and Durabak inside and out.
92 Samurai- Its next!!!

Zookin- a family affair
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the replies,

Slowpoke,

How streetable is this setup? I know some adjusting is going to be needed, but over all what is your opinion?

Jim

88 sami 4.5 spoa. 2 inch body lift. 33 12.50's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode