1.8L Sidekick Sport enignes in Samurais - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 11:28 PM
ronin

1.8L Sidekick Sport enignes in Samurais

I have started looking into the idea of putting a 1.6L 16v into my samurai eventually. While doing so I got to thinking, why isn't there a kit for 1.8L sidekick enignes. After all, aren't they just a bored out 1.6L with DOHC instead of SOHC? The 1.8s are good for 120hp and I think around 114 foot/lbs of torque. I would imagine the Samurai would be very lively with that kind of power under the hood and only a little more than 2000lbs of truck to motivate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 11:52 PM
zukiman

Re: 1.8L Sidekick Sport enignes in Samurais

The 1.8 is not a bigger version of the 1600, as the 1600 is a bigger version of the 1300. The 1800 is a different motor design, on which the new 2.0 is based.

So in addition to the motor differences, there's also the fact that the 1800 was only available in the OBD2 engine diagnostics years. You can ask Brent at Trail Tough what a pain in the ass the OBD2 engines are to swap. That's why he sticks with the OBD1 1600s for their swaps.

Of course, if you wanted to you could adapt a new intake manifold to the motor and get a TBI or carburetor on the 1800, but that may be more trouble than it's worth.

Good luck!

-- Geoff Beasley

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 12:02 AM
ronin

That makes sense. I didn't even think about the emissions differences. It is a shame though. That would be a cool engine for the Samurai. Thanks for the info...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 12:19 AM

Try finding a Suzuki Swift GTi top end and a 1600 16valve Sidekick bottom end this combo rocks I'll try and find the AUSTRALIAN web site that did the write up.

Dedicated to the restoration and care of the North American Rhino
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 03:28 AM

It would be an awesome swap, but a lot of trouble to implement. The 1.8's got multiport injection and a ton of sensors and wiring that would have to be swapped.
The 2000lb sammi would definitely be lively - The Sport will fly, you can do 100 easy, and it weighs over 3000lbs.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 09:21 AM
GRW

Brent has done a ODB2 1600. It's in my truck, and yes from what he said it is more of a pain to wire then the ODB1's are. But it can, and has been done. I believe someone had a right up on IZOOK, about a 2000 install ?
Not sure if its still there, or how it went.

Gary:-)

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 09:33 AM

I've seen the dohc 1300 GTi swap done with the 1600 16 valve bottom end and the guys are saying over 130 hp .The stock 1300 8 valve is 70 hp the dohc head helps it get 30 more hp so if the 1600 16 valve is allready at 100 hp I would guess the DOHC GTi head would do the trick Trail Tough would know more about this swap give them a call !

Dedicated to the restoration and care of the North American Rhino
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 10:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, don't give up on your thinking I have the same thought but in OZ (Australia) there is a Beleno that has a 1840cc single cam engine based, if you can beleive the brochures I have seen, on the 1600 units. These are available only in the JLX top-of-the -line models. I have yet to see one but I have a standing order with my Wrecker yard to give me a yell if one turns up because I agree that it ought to be a goer. I run a 16 valve EFI with Jimny engine management system in my 1999 Jimny at the moment.( with variations)The 1840 would be a boomer though!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 02:13 AM

Check with Mike Shaffer, he has one in his Sami. He has a contact that can do the wiring harness for about $600. I talked to him about this as I am in the middle of putting a 2.0 in mine. It fits very well, I am using the auto so I had to move my T/C back about 2 inches. It's not running yet so I don't know how it will go, but with 130 hp it should really haul!!

'86 Sami
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 09:35 AM
ronin

Thanks, for all the info guys, I really appreciate it. Like I said before, I am just staring to look into swapping in a new engine sometime in the future, so I am trying to learn all I can up front.

mnraaron:
I read the review that was on iZook about the 2.0L swap into a Samurai. It sounded really cool, but it also sounded like a lot of work. the other problem is that 2.0L are not as readily available and as a result are probably more expensive. Right now, I am trying to go for something that has the parts I need readily accessable while at the same time keeping cost to a minimum. Let me know how yours goes though, I would be very interested in the outcome and your experiences.

RHINOGEAR:
For the GTi/1.6L swap, do you know if it is a difficult swap or fairly straight forward. How about emissions? I live in an emission controlled area, so that is a very big concern as I still want to keep my rig streetable. Is there any info/websites available on this subject?

I have also thought of going with a full GTi engine, but they seem to be hard to find around my area. But the GTi/16 valve sounds like fun[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img].

Thanks again for all the info....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode