s/r?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

s/r??

what is this basically and would it be easy to fab up?? in otherwords the only difference I can see is a bar in-between the 2 front shackles but I could be missin somethin! also are they pretty good! I am probably gonna go and get a little 80 dollar arc welder from wal-mart just to get that and other work done!!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: s/r??

<font color=blue>In a nutshell, the spring hanger is no longer on the rear but the front and at the rear of the spring is now attatched to a shackle, get it, shackle reversal. The bar you are talking about, is it the bar that runs between the frame rails? If it is, it's factory.

Wes.</font color=blue>

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 11:28 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I just made a S/R setup for mine, used another as a pattern (I won't mention whose), but modified it a little to avoid any copying problems (strengthened it). It's not for sale, nor will it be later, and did I not bother to pattern it.

I can tell you this, no Wal-Mart 110 Mig is going to do the job, as the S/R has to be 1/4" thick to hold up well. Also, you'll need some solid front bushings to replace the rubber or nylon ones, so the "fangs" won't move on you. These will have to be custom made. If it's not done right, it'll fold underneath on a bump and/or come off and kill someone. Also, if it's not the right size, it won't steer correctly either. I would NOT attempt this if I were in your shoes.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 09:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Years ago, Zuk guys were doing their own S/Rs by cutting off the spring hanger and shackle hanger and reversing the two. Very simple to do. Position them forward a bit since the last thing you want is the tires driving themselves into the rear of your front fenders (exactly what an S/R does).

You might want to ride in a Zuk with a S/R on. We get calls every month from someone who bought one that doesn't like what it did to the handling. 1 of my 3 Zuks has an S/R on it too. If it weren't welded on, I'd take the thing off. It was a waste and does funky things while driving on winding mtn roads.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 10:35 AM
Can't Get Enough

I agree with Jeepn, do not do this yourself! esp with an Walmart flux core welder! If all you did was weld for a living I'd feel ok about 110 fluxcore <font color=red>BUT</font color=red> I don't even think the Walmart brand is even 110!

Bill Forrest!!............Off-Road Champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 12:51 PM

I did my own S/R and I LOVE IT! It handles fine. On the street(which is very seldom) It corners great. Helped the bump steer. Off road it feels stable and is great going up hills. The droop isn't anything like a Missing link but it isn't bad. I'm with the others don't use a cheap welder. I use a lincoln 240 volt mig and did it all with quarter inch steel plate. I have some pictures at www.serioussami.rockcrawler.com if you support and gusset your plates you do not need any steel bushings

Marc Haught
[email protected]
www.serioussami.rockcrawler.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 09:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well I do not have to do it I could get one of my family members with a welder to do it!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode