One man's trash... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

One man\'s trash...

...is another man's treasure, and today it was MY turn.

Tomorrow a few of the local towns are having a "Large item pickup" day, where you can throw away large items for free. Well, I like those days because I stock up on steel for fabricating. I don't mind "scrounging" as I feel I'm being an environmentalist and reusing what I can before it's recycled, so I'm helping the environment (and my wallet) out.

Usually I do OK, but today I wasn't finding a lot of steel, which was disappointing. I did, however, find a few nice items. I found a 4 head VCR that works, a weed wacker (turns over, so I know I can get it to work), a chainsaw with another for parts, car ramps, floor jacks, 2 small toolboxes full of tools (the guy handed these to me while I was looking, said he didn't need them anymore, and some of them are even Craftsman), numerous 350 rods for making jeep steering box braces, pneumatic paint sprayer (in original box with instructions), contractors wheelbarrow, brush guard for a truck, new deck for lawnmower, and for the piece de resistance, 2 Hi-Lift jacks. Yep, couldn't believe it myself. One needs a climbing post, but last year I bought a climbing post for $5, couldn't help myself, glad I did. Yep, you never know what you'll find until you look around.

Typical junk pile ready for pickup.

Hi-lifts...

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 05:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: One man\'s trash...

dern man, wish it were like that here. round here, every day is trash removal day. just drive the mountain roads where i am, trash all over the place. its bad. wanna send me dem visegrips in the pic??? i can always use nother pair!!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 06:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Good job Mark. Just talking with my Son about scouring the garbage piles to build a cool bicycle. I posted this junk pile find back in april. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-536837-rack.jpg (58.3 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 06:09 PM

I make my living scrounging the junk piles. I sell what I get on Ebay. And, I've managed to clear about $1,000.00 a week!

God Bless junk piles!

My only problem is that I keep hearing the "Sanford and Sons" theme song in the back of my head. And I keep hoping for an old, red, crappy pickup truck...

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case, 31 BFG M/T knock offs, extended shackles (1.6 - 8V eventually) AARRRRRRRG!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 06:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Jeepn,your a man after my own heart.The best find I had was when they closed the military post I worked at.All that stuff that was not on the books ,went to the dumpsters.I found about $15,000 dollars worth of tools,steel[full length 4'channel],new rope,chain,ect and I was allowed to dig up all the landscape trees,flowers and bushes I wanted.GOD BLESS THE TAX PAYER.RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

BB, sure, I have about 4 or 5 of them, just picked them up so they wouldn't hit the trash truck. Send me your addy and they're on the way. I was going to wire brush them and hit them with some PB, and then get a new spring, they'd be good as new, and they're genuine Vise-Grips. I also have some pliers, files, and other odds and ends.

After I posted this, I went back out, you never know what people are taking out at the last second, and scored a 10' long piece of 2x2x1/4, a 150,000 BTU salamander (not sure if it works, but I can get it working, still has fuel in it), a 2 burner Coleman stove, a 2 burner Coleman lantern that needs a globe, and another great find, a DR style Brush trimmer. I saw the guy wheeling it out, so I stopped, it has a Wisconsin engine that runs great, but the blade came unattached at the bottom and he didn't want to mess with it (it keeps loosening up). It needs some shrouds and a little TLC, but it'll work fine on my 4 acre field out back, and it's even self-propelled. I should have bought a lottery ticket today!

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 10:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

jeepn, was pullin yer chain man, i got 14 pairs if i can ever locate them all.
BiLLy bOb

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

No problem, always willing to help others out.

I did an inventory and this is what was in the toolboxes the guy handed to me. The metric wrenches, sockets, and a few other items are Craftsman, the SAE stuff is all Taiwanese. This doesn't include the few odds and ends tools that need a good cleaning and rehab.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 11:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Mark...You are man after my own heart! I just came back from a "recycling" run. Nothing that interested me but I have scored some great stuff. Yesterday I scored a metal shelving unit/work table from a neighbor garbage pile who was moving. I'm blessed to live in an affluent community that thinks nothing of throwing things out when they upgrade.
Watchful Spirit....My brother is a member of a military vehicle club and they got the inside track on a NG installation that was going to be closed. They went up there with trailers and he got heaps of cool things. One lucky fellow got a new engine for his jeep. One thing my brother did bring home and I was very concerned about was an artillery shell. It was huge! I asked him if he knew if it was inert and he said he didn't know! He finaly found someone who determined it was inert. It would have taken out half the town if it was live and detonated. Sometimes he's not the brightest light in the harbor......

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 03:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

shooooot, you really cleaned up that day jeepn. wish there was something of that sort round here. shoot, id drive 75 miles to knoxville for a trash day like that, just so i could go rummage n get goodies. oh well. i can dream...
BiLLy bOb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode