Trail Tough or CSC - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Trail Tough or CSC

Are the trail tough and CSC kits the same. Or are they differnent. Has anybody used the Trailtough kit. I know the CSC kit is awesome but ive also heard its a PITA to get it. Any info greatly appreciated.

Will
"It aint the wand its the magician"
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Trail Tough or CSC

I'm assuming you're talking the 1.6 liter adapter from CSC or TTough. I bought the TTough from Brent (because it was cheaper!), and had good results. The driver's side lower mounting hole was slightly canted, so I had to use a smaller bolt and nut combo, but only on that one. I didn't call him and rag on him, though. I assumed it was a fluke, or maybe I'm getting cross-eyed in my old age. BTW the 16-Valve 1.6L is awesome. Highly recommend going all the way!

br549
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I was talkin about the YJ conversion kit. Im sorry for the confusion. I shoulda put that in my original post.

Will
"It aint the wand its the magician"
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 04:27 PM
Journeyman

Hi Will -

The Trail Tough YJ suspension kits are not the same as Canyon States. Canyon States is shackle reverse - ours is not. It is a Missing Link type kit. The shackles, the hangers, and u-bolt plates are all different. You can view pictures of our kits now on our web page at www.trailtough.com under YJ Suspension Kits. You can also see information posted about it on Izook at: www.izook.com/spy/trailtough/trailtough.htm

Brent
Trail Tough Products
1-877-789-8547
www.trailtough.com

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 04:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Nice to see you one the board, Brent.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 04:34 PM

There are actually 3 different YJ kits available. The CSC kit and the Rocky Road kit are both shackle reversals. The Trail Tough kit is a missing link setup in the front.

I have the CSC kit and am happy with it, but I did wait 11 weeks for it. The wait was due to Fred taking to long to get the kit to Dave at Asian Auto. Apparently Fred is no longer part of CSC and the kit should be available in a much shorter time frame now. Just check with Dave and he can give you all the details.

The Trail Tough kit just came out so I don't know if anyone has it yet. I know that Jeff from Santa Rosa (zuk88) is getting that kit from Brent. Since it's not a shackle reversal you will not need to get an extended length drive shaft (I'm not sure what needs to be done though).

I'm not sure who has the kit from Glenn, but it appears to be a similar to the CSC kit. Maybe Glenn will see this is and give the details.

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 05:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

brent, welcome aboard man.

mmartian, think, almost postitive that glenns kit is the csc, he just sells it.

BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 05:57 PM

I was wondering about that but wasn't sure if it was the same or not.

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 06:04 PM
Can't Get Enough

Yep their the same

Bill Forrest!!............Off-Road Champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 09:11 PM
zukiman

Trail Tough builds great stuff; you can't go wrong ordering from them.

As for as the YJ conversion kits go, part of the reason I went with the CSC kit was specifically because of the shackle reversal. It really makes it easy to allow a front tire to climb vertically up a rock without fighting the other tires' forward motion, and there's no worry about tweaking a spring due to forcing a front wheel rearward when coming up against a big rock. Plus, there is more clearance up front with the high shackle mount, as opposed to a low-hanging shackle.

I ran Missing Links up front for several years, and got kind of tire of that configuration. The Panhard Bar did a lot to improve its driving characteristics, making it essentially "invisible" on the road (i.e. it drives like there isn't the missing link "slop") and returning my sharp turning off-road in the rocks, but I was always banging those shackles against rocks and forcing the front wheels rearward when driving up against the big rocks, bending the springs in the process. I never destroyed a spring that way, but knowing my luck it was bound to happen sometime.

I've had the CSC kit for about 9 months now and I've beaten the living heck out of it. I've grown to love the shackle reversal up front, but I do recommend adapting a stock sway bar up front if you plan to do much street driving and don't have adjustable Rancho shocks. In back, I did manage to sag one 5-pack spring and "S" the other on the Rubicon while doing a wheelie, so a traction bar is also a recommendation for either the Canyon State or the Trail Tough kit.

You will love the simplicity and reliability of the YJ spring setup. You'll flex like a coil sprung kit, without any of the coil conversion's negatives. And no, the extreme length of these leaf springs have not caused any problems on-road or off. And you won't need a Panhard Bar with the CSC shackle reversal kit. I got rid of my Panhard Bar and haven't looked back.

Good luck with whichever kit you choose. The Trail Tough setup looks awesome, and the Canyon State kit is well-proven. And there shouldn't be much concern anymore with the delivery delays in getting the kit now, since Canyon State and AAPA seem to have solved that problem.

-- Geoff Beasley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode