rings vs. tcase...Your input please - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

rings vs. tcase...Your input please

This is not about the advantage of high/low gear selection that trs I or II tcase offers. What I want to know is if only the rings are done and the driveline is left stock-should not the axle, clutch, and ujoints have a better chance of surviving since the increase in torque is only felt further down the drive train? I was set in saving for the tcase but Figmo now is offering Yukon rings for $170. Since my ride IS a daily driver I can afford to swap the rear for now and save the front for another weekend. I run 32s on a stock driveline so a change is needed somewhere...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: rings vs. tcase...Your input please

something else to keep in mind.... lower ring and pinion gears are always weaker than factory gears.
The tcase gears are a bit larger.

Theorectically, going with tcase gears can increase the strength of your drivetrain, whereas, differential gears will always weaken it a bit.

I'd always vote for tcase gears before R&P's.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 01:00 AM

Changing your ring & pinion to a higher numerical value will make life easier on the U-joints and especially the clutch. However you
can install a T-case gearset in a fraction of the time it takes to do two differentials.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 01:32 AM
Cap34

My decision was easy. I needed my high ratio reduced to compensate for larger tires. The 12% reduction I got from TrailToughs gears was just what I needed. And now that I have started to venture off road a bit, I have found that the big bonus was the 83% reduction in low range. It will turn your Sammy into a tractor. I think you would have to make a very radical change in your R/P to achieve the same reduction/functionality. I also thought it was very cool that I did not have to modify two differentials. If I were building a hard core rock crawler, I would expect to change the transfer case and the diffs, but the diffs probably would not be Suzuki. Getting back to your question, you're probably right about protecting the drive train, but from an economic standpoint, I think it's hard to beat the transfer case change.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 01:47 AM
Cap34

I wish I had replied to your post much more simply. I just wanted to say that I think you get an awful lot for your money when you go the transfer case route.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 12:24 PM
mike shannon

get a set of 4.16 t case gears and save you clutch off road and it will be fine on the street. its the best money you can spend on a zuk. then lockers theres my 2 cents

zuks and toys
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I just have a hard time waiting to save up all that money.
Hey Mike, as soon as I figure out this #[email protected]#$% USB conflict I will scan in the picture of you I took durring the Barnwell Tuff Truck. I was the guy on the hill to your left with the flash when your wheel was up from tapping the tree... It's a winner!

Calmini 5", 32" TSLs, daily driver, work in progress...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 08:38 PM

I say Go for the diff gears. If your not looking for a super low range rockcrawling POS, don't bother with the wad of cash you would be chucking out the window.

Different gears in the rear and front save more parts from being broken than a t-case.

Just think. we all know how gear reduction works, if you put in a t-case with deep gears when those puppies start turning you driveshafts, ujoints, pinion, ring, axles and hubs there taking a heavy load. A deeper ring will spare you the stress on the ujoints, driveshafts, pinion and ring gear.

Plus the deeper rings will compensate for the larger tires.

Just remember don't go with too deep of a ring, or else you will have stupidly high highway rpm's just to keep up with traffic.

Remember it all depends on how much you wanna pay.
-How many injuries or mishaps have happend after saying to you friends, "Hey, Watch this!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode