header or 2" exhaust? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

header or 2\" exhaust?

the plan is to run a header and 2" exhaust...

thing is is that i cant afford both of them right now, so which should i do first? what im really looking for is which will be easier to accomodate the next mod, as in, if i get the header, is it easy for the exhaust to bolt up, or if i get the exhaust is it easy to put the header on... stuff like that

also, what kind of header should i get? ive got it narrowed between thorley and calmini... i like the calmini one a little better because it doesnt have the preheat hose tube on it (i think) which i wont need because im most likely going to be upgrading to a weber carb within the next few weeks...

all suggestions appreciated

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 10:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: header or 2\" exhaust?

I am very fond of my Calmini headers and would recomend them to all. I'd get the header first. Just bolt up a cherry to the back end with some like 1" pipe at the end for back pressure... Or go with the cherry bomb "tuebo II" $16.00 muffler. I've got both calmini header and cherry ii and love them!

I'm LOCKED!
Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 10:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

id go with a header first too man. you can mount a muffler to a header flange, mufflers start at $10 or so n go all the way on up. put on the rest when the pocket book allows it. might wanna think about a turn down too for the muffler.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 10:48 PM
Old Hand

I just recently put on a 2" exhaust. I'm still running the stock manifold. I would like to get a header one day. But for me, I got the exhaust put on cheaper than what a header costs so that's why I did the exhaust first. Plus the stock exhaust was start to rust out.

I did notice a little more power on the top end.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/jbird88_5/index.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

header, mine is a calmini I'm happy with it, still looks new eights months old,

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 10:59 PM

I have had one of each header, Calmini and DT. I personally think both headers are overrated. I would recommend you try the 2 inch exhaust first and see how you like it. But I probably would do the header thing if I had it to do all over again. The header cleans up the underhood somewhat. If I didn't need the CARB certification, I would have gone with the Calmini the second time because I think the placement of the O2 senser is better. Both the Calmini and the DT header preheater hose attachment are bolt on.

The original Calmini preheater hose was welded on and the O2 senser was were the DT header has it now. I guess Calmini has improved theirs. I don't know why they don't get theirs CARB certified. Especially since they are a California company.

-Farther
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 12:02 AM

I'll take the other path and say header first. I own the Thorley and much to my disappointment, the preheat ring isn't mounted on when you receive it. You're supposed to weld it on yourself -ruining the nickel finish! (Of course I didn't but compliance was the reason I chose the smog approved header in the first place)

I say header first because the stock manifold is this tiny 1" tube inside the second tube that you see. Plus you will benifit from the improved scavenging of gasses. Doing the exhaust first only sounds better.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 12:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The header alone will give you more power than the exhaust alone. The Thorley does not come with the heat tube pre-welded.

The differences in the two headers is substantial...outside of the fact that one is a visual copy-cat of the other. We had a Calmini header for some time (we finally threw it away). The mounting flanges are substantially thinner which leads to heat warpage. We regularly sell our aluminum header gaskets to folks with the Calmini header who have the same problems. Certainly not everyone has this problem, but many do. It is never a problem with the Thorley though.

Our Calmini header also used smaller tubing so there is not as much free-flowing gain. SMOG certification may not be a problem in your area now, but if it comes, and/or you move, it may end up being a big problem. the ports on it are not as equally matches as with the Thorley too which causes power-robbing turbulence.

At a glance, they appear the same. There are quality and performance differences between the two though.

I must however say that the Calmini header didn't fall apart like the Hedman we had did. What a complete waste that was!

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 01:59 AM
Cap34

I believe the header is the best, most cost effective mod you can make to a 1300. When you do the exhaust, make sure you get a high flow cat (if you use one). You can find them online. Also, when I put my Weber on, I intentionally got the kit which allow my to use the stock air cleaner for two reasons. First, I think the stock air cleaner is a good setup, and second, I wanted to retain the heated air tube.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 02:03 AM
Cap34

And I forgot to mention that I have Thorley's on both of my sams. In California, it is important to have CARB certification which Thorley does, and Calmini does not. Since buying the headers, I read an article in Hot Rod mag explaining how they work. After reading the article, I was glad I bought from someone who makes headers for a wide range of engines.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode