Another twist on mounting YJ's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 03:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another twist on mounting YJ\'s

I scrounged up a set of wrangler springs to mount on my samurai and have been kicking around ideas of how to mount them. Right now I am thinking about mounting sliders (spring mounts that are slotted so that the springs can move front to back) on both ends of the springs and the locating the axles with two 36" long links (one on each side). My thinking is that the springs should live longer since the will be less likely to bind and will still locate the axle side to side. The long links will also reduce the crab-walking that happens with serious articulation. Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

Attached Files
File Type: xls 28-530793-latest.xls (17.0 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 04:51 PM

Re: Another twist on mounting YJ\'s

After looking at your drawing...I think it would work if you could keep one side even with the other. If you hit an obstical with one side the spring would shift to the rear of the slots and when you applyed power to the wheels it would pull the oppesite side forward in the slots creating a severe compound angle at the u-joints.....am I right or is it just the beer talking??

88 Zuk
locked and loaded
http://www.zukin.homestead.com/main.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 07:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The links ( like bottom links on a 3 or 4 link ) are supposed to locate the axle front to back. The springs would control side to side and rotation (altough I was thinking about a top link to control rotation too).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 11:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You HAVE to have both ends of the spring attached somewhere. It can't slide at both ends or it might change position so drastically under stress that it could fall right out!

Many smaller trailers use a sliding mount on the trailing end of the spring to cut down on the parts count. They work because the leading end is firmly attached to the frame, keeping the spring in place. There is no stress applied by an engine -- just the downward force of the load.

You need both ends of the spring tied down on a powered vehicle to ensure that the spring does not "pop loose" under severe stress or torqueing.

Ackerdackerly and

'Ol Yellow Wheels before...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 11:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I wonder if you could fab a rear panhandle bar. hmmmmmm

I'm LOCKED!
Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 10:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have seen several cj's with shackles on both ends and they work great, but your design only locates the axle front to back at the bottom so the pinion angle could get nuts. locate the top too and you've got it. only thing is the actual swing of the shackles allows more droop.

87 sammy (RAIL BUGGY) PROJECT 50 % complete. isuzu/chevy luv motor, auto tranny, 2 t-cases nissan/zook 7.5:1,tube chassis,4link coils rear,36"tsl's, 1/2 ton GM axles welded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode