M.S.D. ? about pick-up in dis. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

M.S.D. ? about pick-up in dis.

howdy,
at this moment my pick-up in the dis. is not working. will a M.S.D. ignition still use the pick-up in the factory dis? is the an aftermaket dis. that is better than the stock one. i want to know do i still need the pick-up in the dis. with a M.S.D.?

Thanks fer your time,

Jimmie & MONZUKI

"God doesn't have to hand out brains everyday."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: M.S.D. ? about pick-up in dis.

You need some sort of pickup with the MSD systems. Either the stock trigger or a crank trigger. Crank triggers are generally used in high performance situations and would probably be over-kill for the Samurai.

Checked on carparts.com, they have the module for $253 dollars. Are you sure this is what your problem is? Would probably be cheaper to find a used unit in the junk-yard.

Later...
Keith
88.5, 3" springs + 1" shackle lift, 33x10.5 super swamper radial TSL, 4.88 gears, rear locker, weber carb, 2" exhaust, centerforce clutch, OD green
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 12:27 PM
Cap34

I put an MSD 6A in my zook and learned a few things. The MSD will accept a variety of input signals, including a low level pulse from a magnetic pick up. If your distributor is not sending a good signal, I think the likelihood is that your igniter has a problem, because I don't think much can go wrong with the magnetic pick up except for physical damage. Anyhow, I confirmed by experimenting with a spare distributor from which I had removed the igniter, that the MSD box will fire on just the signal from the magnetic pick up. You can download complete installation instructions in Adobe format from the MSD website, and you will probably learn a lot like I did.

I decided not to use the modified distributor and used the "other" (higher level)input on the MSD box. My reasoning was that if the box should ever burn out, I wanted to be able to revert to the stock system without removing and replacing the distributor. I went to my favorite junkyard and picked up the connectors I needed to put the MSD components in the system without cutting any Samurai wires. I also had to use an MSD "fuel injection adapter" which the seller gave me, but which I had no idea how to use. One phone call to the MSD help desk cleared it all up (except I still don't know exactly what it does other than make my car run great). So, what I have now, is the MSD box and fuel injection adapter (I don't have fuel injection), hooked up with stock Sammy connectors, triggered by a stock Sammy distributor. If I have a problem with the box, I just unplug two connectors and reconnect the stock pair. I also carry a set of plugs gapped to stock specs because with the MSD, you will run a much wider gap.

MSD does make distributors, but I don't know of one for the Samurai - it would be very expensive anyway. Good Luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 09:22 PM

it depends on what your running im running a msd6 on stock dist. and you have to have the pickup in the distrubuter.dont now about others though

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode