my custom front bumper-to-be - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

my custom front bumper-to-be

Since there was a recent post on front bumpers here's the one I've been tinkering around with... It's not etched in stone but I already have the base. the top bars and "pre-runner" bar will most likely be thicker. I'm just limited with my paintshop...

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case (not sure how I like it), 29 Super Swampers (31 BFG M/T knock offs - eventually) AARRRRRRRG!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-529143-bumper.jpg (15.2 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 12:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: my custom front bumper-to-be

I am working on something too...

One of the problems that I see is the connection between the front of the frame and the front bumper itself. All there is are the four holes that hold the tie-down "hooks".

I am thinking of using a stout steel tube as a spacer that would go across the inside of the frame tube to better distribute the stress load across the front of the frame. Thus a bolt would pass through the bumper mounting bracket, through the outside wall of the frame tube, through the steel spacer and finally through the inside wall where a nut is attached (or some other appropriate combination since the holes are blind on one side of the frame -- I fergit which...)

Also, looking at someone else's home-made bumper, I noticed that it was not square with the ground when viewed from the side. This is because the frame takes a slight nosedive over the axle and continues at that angle to the very front end. So a mounting bracket must compensate for this angle to make the bumper "square" to the ground.

Lots of details to take into consideration...

Here's my attempt at a design. I am incorporating LEDs instead of light bulbs. I have mounted them in enclosed 2" x 4" 11-gage steel tube sections that are 1 - 3/4 inches deep for lighting. welding begins Sept 1...

Ackerdackerly and

'Ol Yellow Wheels before...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 12:34 AM

Very nice design, but what are the "threaded mounting studs" going to be used for?

Ryan

"Share your knowledge...it is the only way to achieve immortality."

Cheap Trick - '92 Suzuki Samurai - under construction...always
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 01:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Capn, looks good, but would be better if you had a winch on the front of it! That is if you want a winch on your front bumper! But, I do like the design of it!

-Brian

ULTIMATE ZUK
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 07:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What happened to the other bumper??
ROB

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

what are the "threaded mounting studs" going to be used for?

Those are to attatch a tow bar to. I have a set of those also and am planning on incorporating them into the bumper directly in front of the where the mounting tabs attatch to the frame. I thought that they'd be a great place for mountnig those "D" rings with the screws in them when the tow bar is not being used.

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case (not sure how I like it), 29 Super Swampers (31 BFG M/T knock offs - eventually) AARRRRRRRG!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 08:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The stud mounts are could be used for a brush guard on the front, a tire carrier on the back or an overhead carrier (like the one calmini sells that attaches to the body at the door hinges and around the tailgate...) I guess it also could be used for an awning frame for camping.

You never can have enough attach points - sorta like a Samurai Bumper designed by the Swiss Army Knife people.

Ackerdackerly and

'Ol Yellow Wheels before...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode