Dana 44 swap...? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Dana 44 swap...?

Ok, I need the details of the Dana 44 swap. Aren't you supposed to use the axles out of an '78 or '79 wagoneer? Why these years? What make them different that other years? I hear any full size wagoneer totes 44's. Also, what's involved in using the brake apparatus them? Should you swap back to the samurai brakes? Of stick with whatever beefier equipment is on the dana's? Wouldn't this change your rim size? Any info would help, thanks,

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, Cal 4.16 t-case, Lkd Frt, welded rear, 8-point Roll Cage, etc, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 10:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dana 44 swap...?

hey perry, the danas are six lug so no brake swappage. and alot of the 80's wagoneers had a centered dana 20 rear. best bet is a quadratrac 78 or 79 model cause they are wider and offset. and let me piggyback perry's post by saying , i'm lookin fer some of these in dallas,tx area myself. i'll buy cash or swap for em if they are cheap enough. also lower that 3:42 gears and i'll pay more for sure. thanks

87 sammy (RAIL BUGGY) PROJECT 50 % complete. isuzu/chevy luv motor, auto tranny, tube chassis,3 link coils rear,at least 35" boggers, and whatever else i can get a deal on and modify.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 10:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

a pic to drool over!!! wider is better

87 sammy (RAIL BUGGY) PROJECT 50 % complete. isuzu/chevy luv motor, auto tranny, tube chassis,3 link coils rear,at least 35" boggers, and whatever else i can get a deal on and modify.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-527631-P1010171.jpg (25.8 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 10:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Well as far as I understand it the 44's from that vintage wagonner is offset, there is also some CJ axles that will work, (A rare dana44 with 30 spline with an offset diff.)
I belive they are from CJ5's of a certain year. I am sure Jeepn will chime in soon.
I have a line on one of these for my rig. I intend on doing a disk brake conversion to the
rear axle. (Got used to 4 wheel disk brakes..) And as long as the front d-30 I get is disk I think I will end up swapping to a different master cylinder (Different size
bore I am sure). I will know more this winter.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

I just KNEW you were gonna upload that pic!

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, Cal 4.16 t-case, Lkd Frt, welded rear, 8-point Roll Cage, etc, etc.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 10:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

someone need some cj axles , let me know. i am trading some stuff for cj axles dana 44 rear and dana 30 front both with 4:10 gears about $225 for both.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 10:34 AM

Perry, check with Langston or Brian Wilson out in Springtown. They have both done the dana 44 swap. I seen Langstons's in action and it rocks.
The spring hangers on the front have to be moved wider about an inch. For the drive shafts you can us your originals just cut the pinion end off and put a end on that will match the 44's yoke. I don't think the e brake is much of a deal. You can have brake lines made with standard on one end and metric on the other.

Marc Haught
[email protected]
www.serioussami.rockcrawler.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 10:45 AM
Enthusiast

The other option is FJ axles. They are offset and I don't think quite as wide as the Wago's (in case you still wanted to be street legal). They are stronger, but can be difficult to find and/or find parts for depending on where on the continent you reside.

I have a set of D44s with ARBs for my Sidekick. If I was going to do the swap on a Sam I think I'd go with the TLC axles because cutting/welding the D44 for SPOA was a bit of a pain in the ass. My axles started life on a Scout (TracKick is centered rear diff) and you need to change or modify the front diff for a SPOA config as the housing itself is in the way for the spring pad. Becasue it is cast you need the correct technique to do the welding, I got my father-in-law to do it as he knows what he's doing with welding.

The TLCs do have Birfields, but big ones and with a 1300/1600/2000/whatever I doubt you'll do damage to them. They live up to small blocks.

HTH

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 11:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The swap to the Cherokee axles willl require swapping to 6 lug wheels. The suzuki brake lines can be reflared on the end to accept the Jeep style fittings. Here is an old pic of my swap http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jason...uzukipage.html
since the photos I have added RS9012's, different bumper etc. but the spring mounts have all stayed the same. Note how you have to move the springs outboard due to the offset of the pinion on the front. The rear is just a matter of welding on perches and bolting to your existing springs.

Jason

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got a set Pillard I may end up selling them I havent decided yet. I might swap them for a 1.6 if someone has one they are willing to trade.

I can't sleep clowns will eat me.
Hey, Jeeps do taste like Chicken!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode