Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 08:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Scary Wobble.

Hey folks,

I've finally finished my rig...YIPPPEEEEeeeee

but there's a problem.

when I get to about 45-55km/h (not miles) I get this very very very very scary wobble in the front end. If I go faster it evens itself out,b ut when I slow down to that speed again I get the wobble, then it goes away once I'm below 45-55km/h.

I have gone 3" springs and 32" MT's

any ideas as to what should be checked first?

'85 SuziSkip
Slowly building a beast.

Need some custom graphic/new media design done?
Visit http://www.newflavour.com today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 08:50 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Scary Wobble.

Tires, definitely the tires. Mine does the same thing with the Swampers, but they're not balanced as they're bias ply. When I put the Rikens on (street tires), there is no wobble.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 08:51 AM
mike shannon

tire balance, front end ball joints, wheel bearings, steering stabilizer and if that all is ok add a steering stabilizer to the axle. and that should do it unless you have a bent rim or bad cupped tires. later mike

zuks and toys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 08:55 AM
Old Hand

I had a similiar problem that turned out to be too much ROAD FORCE they called it. Discount tire has a special machine that will find the heaviest part in the rim and the heavies part in the tire. If they are too close to each other, when mounted, the tire will never be balanced quite right. They checked mine for free since i bought my wheels through them. One tire was at 35 pounds of RF , and 30 is the maximum it should be. (so i've been told) They got it down to 22 pounds of RF.

-Ryan
'88 Sami. Moderately modified. Two track mind
[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 10:04 AM

definately check out the front end and tires/wheels, but it also maybe as simple as taking out the play in the steering box. Do a search on this BBS. There was a lengthy discussion and I posted how to do the adjustment as did other members.

-Farther
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 12:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yes! check your steering box. Like I posted earlier, talke lots of air out of the tires so they are a pain in the arse to turn, now gently turn the steering wheel back and forth and look @ the wheels. If the play is greater than like 5~10 degres, you need to adjust the box. I could rotate mine about 1/4 way before I did the adjust. IT REALLLLLLLLY helps! I also added a MUCH larger steering stabalizer/dampener/shock/round-thing-that-makes-steering-nice hehehe.. By far, best improvement was: Change the little rubber seals on the knuckles, adjust the adjuster (whoops) on the steering gear box, and add a larger steering dampener.. I'll post the right part number for a real good one!

I'm LOCKED!
Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 03:35 PM
Alfie

I get it a little too, still tryin to track it down. Done balancing and steering damper, etc. beginning to suspect toe in and castor. I haven't shimmed the front spring plates yet.
Alfie.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 04:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Don't forget to get tires balanced with weights on both sides of the rim (if neccessary)! I discovered that balancing axially (what everyone thinks balancing is about) AND balancing at right angles to the spindle shaft with weights on both sides of the wheel is very important!

Wheels look nice with no weights showing, but the overall balance could really be out because of it.

Ackerdackerly and

'Ol Yellow Wheels before...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 07:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks heaps guys,

I'll take her for a wheel alignment and balance as soon as I get a chance. If it persists I will look at the stabiliser and I will look into the steering box free-play ASAP.

again thanks heaps.

'85 SuziSkip
Slowly building a beast.

Need some custom graphic/new media design done?
Visit http://www.newflavour.com today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode