carb swap.....????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

carb swap.....?????

factory carb is messing up,i am thinking of replacing it...what is the best carb for the $$$.not loking to spend a whole lot of $.sami is stock and will stay that way,and only used for regular road driving...also after replacing the carb is there anything else that has to be done,or do i just trash all that vacumm stuff.....

86' stock zuki, 95 wrangler sahara..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 10:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: carb swap.....?????

Unless there is really something seriously wrong with your carb, I'd simply replace all the vaccum hoses, clean out the EGR valve (it often gets loaded up with carbon) along with the passages that connect to it in the intake manifold with a solvent and generally clean the unit up.

Beware -- Samurais with more than 120K start wearing out unless they were very carefully maintained. Mine got really sluggish and started to tear up timing belt covers at 128k indicating that the main and thrust bearings were getting out of spec and the cylinders were wearing out-of-round.

An engine rebuild costs around 12-1300 bucks and the results are downright magical! Throw in an exhaust header ($170) and a bigger diameter exhaust system (2" plus for around $280 with a new Cat and flow-through muffler) and you have (relatively speaking) a honkin' machine!

I have about 2600 miles on my rebuilt engine with the above mods and I am getting 25+ MPG after break-in along with the wonderful feeling of never having to downshift on the Interstate from 5th to 4th on any hill. Except for the cylinder and bearing work, I did it all myself!

Ackerdackerly and

'Ol Yellow Wheels before...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

thanks for the info,,i was thinking of changing the vacuum lines like you said but i was just expecting the worse..the egr valve i didnt think of so i will look at it..if i can find it....i like your sami...nice to see other stock samis...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

thanks for the info,,i was thinking of changing the vacuum lines like you said but i was just expecting the worse..the egr valve i didnt think of so i will look at it..if i can find it....i like your sami...nice to see other stock samis...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 12:51 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I just did the same thing. My carb was messing up and it's a NIGHTMARE to try and do anything with. I tried diagnosing all the little gadgets and gizmos, but to no avail. I swapped out to a Pony Carb that <font color=blue>Mxnhid</font color=blue> was selling, cost me $75 for the carb, $60 for the rebuild, $25 for the fuel regulator, and $10 in parts and accessories. So for $170, it runs awesome, no complaints at all, and it's something I can work on easily, unlike the stock crap. No EGR, no wiring crap, no vacuum crap (OK, a few hoses), just fuel and air and it goes. I highly recommend the swap, the engine compartment looks so much cleaner, not like the stock rats nest. It starts flawlessly and purrs like a kitten. I am only getting 20 mpg with it, but with WIDE 31's, a foot that's always planted, and either 68K or 168K on the engine (there is some discrepancy as to the actual mileage). <font color=blue>Wildweasel</font color=blue> put it on, and it was surprisingly simple, ask him about the carbs, he had a lot of problems with the stock one as well.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

thanks ...dont know what a pony carb is...do you know of a source for used ones

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 07:30 PM
I Do This For The Glory

http://www.izook.com/tech/ponycarb/ponycarb.htm

<font color=blue>Mxnhid</font color=blue> has another one, you may want to e-mail him. There was a problem with a bushing, but a machine shop could make one easy (for about $10 up here). I also don't know if he has another rebuild kit. <font color=blue>DannyL</font color=blue> could also get them at one time, not sure if he can get anymore.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 09:15 PM

I bought a pony from dannyl about a year ago and i love it. if you can find one i would recommend it.

88 suzuki, 2 inch shackles, 235 mud tires, custom F/R bumpers, Pony carb, lotsa dreams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode