Pitman Arm Removal...part 1 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Pitman Arm Removal...part 1

Just recieved a drop pitman arm so I hurried to disassembled everything. I've been soaking the ptman arm daily with PB and as I expected, it didn't want to part company with the steering box. Tried the puller, no dice. Tried the BFH method, no dice. Tried to cut it with a cut off tool and I had trouble because space is limited. Figured I would soak it again and leave the puller on it cranked down real hard overnight. Tomorrow I'll try the above methods again as well as the torch and box steel long punch method......
Is there any repair for a damaged drag link end boot? I used a puller and it worked great. I must have damaged it the last time I had it off....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 09:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Pitman Arm Removal...part 1

Check www.jcwhitney, I think they have the little booties for the drag links.. Like 5 dollars shipped with the ring too..

Whoops, here's a link that has the little booties. Not sure if they will work tho. http://www.mailordercentral.com/bron...s.asp?dept=165
I'm LOCKED!
Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 03:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue> this has always worked with me so you might give it a try. I use a pitman arm puller and I tighten it down to the point where my 1/2" drive wont let me put any more force on it and then I add a cheater bar and turn it until I think it's going to get deadly if it pops off. Once to that point, I just take my propane torch, get in a safe position and heat it up. It will pop off in under a minute. It takes a propane torch a little while to warm it up enough to pop off but it will, just give it a minute.

Wes.</font color=blue>

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...?u=1596164&f=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 03:59 AM

You can get urethane tie rod boots from Energy Suspensions the part # is 9-13104R. I just ordered some for mine a couple weeks ago from 4wheel Parts Wholsale, they run $3.95 a pair.

Rich

'86 Sami
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Do the tie rod boots fit the drag link as well? I would assume that the original one is removed prior to installing the new boot ?? Thanks....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 09:44 AM

A quicker way to remove the arm instead of using a propane torch is to tighten your puller all the way up till you cant go anymore then take a welder turn it on high and strike an arc to it. This will heat it up super quick without causing any warpage to the gear box.

"Happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon!"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 06:09 PM
Enthusiast

Crow, crank the puller down hard as you can without hurting yourself. THEN, use a hammer and hit the arm on the side where it wraps around the sector shaft. Should pop right off with a few light taps. Heat will possibly ruin the seals, use it as a last resort.

c.
--
http://root.moose.ca/~chris

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well, I've sucessfully removed the pitman arm using all of the above methods.... I finally was able to get a cut off tool in to make a cut. Two wacks from above using a long pipe and a BIG hammer and it was begging for mercy at my feet.
I've installed a drop pitman arm and it sure does make a difference. It helped heaps with bump steer. The only down side is that the steering got real heavy. Is this normal? Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

All Good Medicine,
Crow

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 10:30 AM
Cap34

Is the steering heavy, or are you just tired from working on the Pitman arm?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Good question...LOL! Although I was a bit weary from the ordeal, the steering is heavy.....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode