lincoln locker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

lincoln locker

been thinking of welding my rear diff. with tellico possible in sept. i think i will go ahead. my welder is a relatively puny 70 amp stick welder--is it powerful enough to get the necessary penetration?? is it gonna be a handful on the road--mostly highway driving ?? besides removing the 3rd member & cleaning it good what else do i need to do?? any pics showing welded diff?? thanks for info!!!

cueball
88 hd-top,1.3with weber, calmini cam,headers & 2" exhaust, jacobs ignition, 3" national spua , 4.16 tc gears, 88.5 5th gear,29x10.50 swamper tsl sx's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 06:39 PM
Enthusiast

Re: lincoln locker

take it to professional to get welded it'll be worth it, your 70 amp won't be enough you'll find on road your tires will wear very fast maybe it would be better to go with a lock right or an ez locker. just my 2 cents - mike

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 06:44 PM
Can't Get Enough

DON'T DO IT!!!! a LOCKRIGHT is only $175 from [email protected] coast. It will cost more in the long run.

Bill Forrest!!............Off-Road Champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

i understand the tire wear aspect--but it shouldn't be much worse than with a locker should it?? why do you say it will cost more in the long run??

cueball
88 hd-top,1.3with weber, calmini cam,headers & 2" exhaust, jacobs ignition, 3" national spua , 4.16 tc gears, 88.5 5th gear,29x10.50 swamper tsl sx's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 07:13 PM
Can't Get Enough

Because a Blob of weld in a carrier is weak. a lot of blob in the carrier make the carrier weaker. It's not "IF" you'll break it's "WHEN" you break, and when you do, you will not just replace the carrier and spider gears, you will have to replace the Ring and Pinion, Bearings, and seals through out the axle.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

oh!!!!! definitely something to consider. thanks!!

cueball
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast

lock rite and ez lockers are positive locking and allow for minimal wheel spin but where wheelspin is significant it will lock - mike

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 07:36 PM
Can't Get Enough

No prob. A LOCKRIGHT or EZ Locker will Unlock if you want it too. ie let off the gas. A locker only should engage when you apply torque/or drive from the motor. Thats how it works, torgue applied=locked, if you coast around a corner the locker will be unlocked and will allow the tires to spin at a different rate. Then when you apply the gas...... click POW it engages!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 07:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yes, as I am finding out with my brand new locker, when I turn the outside unlocks and goes clicky clicky then enguages as I straighten out. A lincon will allow you to break axles, weld wrong and have a carrier grenade, welds break off and distroy your diffy, a lockrite can do the same, but less likely..... I really like my locker, come down and I'll let you drive'er... Make a run this weekend? Space coast offroad sounds like a good club to join. I fergot the website tho......

I'm LOCKED!
Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 08:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have an EZ locker in the rear of my Samurai and I wish I had welded the rear. The clicking and occasional snap drives me nuts! You will still have tire chirp around corners if you are on the gas. Also when you drive on the street with a locker you get a surprise with every turn. It is kind of like a potpourri of reactions with every turn - sometimes it snaps, sometimes it just clicks, sometimes it causes the vehicle to surge one direction or another. It is definitely something that you have to get use to. At least with the welded diff you would get the same reaction turn after turn. As far as tire wear, so what if you have a little extra tire wear. No one is much concerned much about tire wear when they air down to 5 PSI and rip open side walls, are they? Ask Glenn, (wildweasel) how many miles he got out of the tires he ran at the Melt! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

If an experienced welder welds your diff, you will not have blobs of weld. The diff I am showing pictures of is not a Samurai, but nether the less it is still the same concept. It was TIG welded and the hardest part was the spider gears. I imagine if you used an ARC welder that you could have slag breaking off and floating around your diff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-524870-WeldedDiff1.jpg (55.9 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode