front d/s vibration - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

front d/s vibration

Well I just got the spring over installed on my zuk.

Here's the details:
I'm running the CSC kit with 5 leaf YJ's and the RRO 4.5" spring over. I also have the Arizona Driveline front driveshaft from Dave at Asian Auto. I have 31x10.5 TSL's and have 10 inches between the top of the tire and the stock flare.

Here's the question:
I'm getting driveline vibration (only running the front shaft right now) above about 10mph. The shaft angle looks alright at the axle but seems a little high at the tcase (not sure of the exact angle). How are you guys handling this with about 9-10 inches of lift? I know there are a few others (Geoff, Dave) who are running this same setup. Did you have any problems with vibration?

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 02:02 PM
Old Hand

Re: front d/s vibration

I was just going to post the same question. I have been running this kit since May and i just now tried drving down the street for the first time in 4wheel high. It vibrated so bad that the whole dashboard was shaking. I installed 5 degree shims and my pinion is pointing straight at the t-case also. But there is a bad angle at the t-case like you said. I don't know what i'm gonna do this winter when i need 4 wheel on the snowy roads.

-Ryan
'88 Sami. Moderately modified. Two track mind
[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 02:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Make sure the driveshaft is in phase. For the Arizona Drivelines, make sure the zerk fittings line up.

You always want the ujoints to be in line, but the AZ drivelines are balanced with the zerks lined up as well as the ujoints.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the fornt will only vibrate when the hubs are locked. You shouldn't drive with hubs locked off the trail.... and once you're on the trail, any vibrations in the front driveshaft are usually muffled by the shifting and banging that goes on while you're driving downa bumpy dirt road.

http:// www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Glenn,

Those deluxe pads I got worked perfectly. They made it so easy to install.

I will check and make sure my zerks are lined up when I get home. The only reason that I even noticed it was because I wanted to take it down the street to my testing spot and cycle the springs. The only problem is that my stock shaft barely touches. I have my matching rear shaft on order now.

Thanks,

Mark
1999 Toyota Tacoma
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 04:46 PM

More than likely, your pinion is pretty much pointing straight at the T-Case, or real close to it. In this situation, you have little or no angle on the u-joint at the pinion, and a severe angle at the top. If the angles are not balanced (the same amount in opposite directions where they cancel each other out), then you will get a lot of vibration in the shaft. The answer is a CV joint in the front at the T-Case. I run the SUMO shafts from Dave at Asian Auto also, and I have some front drive shaft vibration as well, although much better than it was stock. I don't have the CV shaft in the front, only the rear, but I don't run mine on the highway in 4 HI. I think the factory owners manual on a stock Zuk warned not to go over 35 mph in 4 HI.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

I realigned the front shaft as Glenn said to check and it helped out a lot. I do still get some vibration, but I can at least go 30mph now with a little vibration. Before I would go 10mph and it felt like it was going to shake apart.

I have a CV rear shaft on order so hopefully I won't have any problems there. I wanted to get rid of as much front vibration as possible in case I ever need to limp home in front wheel drive.

Mark
1999 Toyota Tacoma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode