FOUND HORSEPOWER!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 06:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

FOUND HORSEPOWER!!!!

Went to change front main seal and found woodruff key that indicates cam belt sprocket to crank was badly worn. This allowed the cam timing to move around a bit but to generally run in a retarded timing condition. A new key and some locktite made a significant improvement in highway cruisability. I was very disappointed in the performance of my Calmini ss401 cam but now I know why it didn't help. IT WAS OUTTA TIME!! My buddy at the parts store says this is a common problem with this timing system, with Mitsubishi being the worst. It can ultimatly end in a ruined crankshaft. So BEWARE!!

88 Sam 4.16,welded rear,lockt frnt,31"Hi-tech MTR's, 4.5 spoa,5k Ramsey,rears in frnt w/ML's, Calmini cam n header.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 07:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: FOUND HORSEPOWER!!!!

sounds good I look for ways to get a little more boost I am thinkin of gettin a re-grinded cam from Asian auto but I want to do that around the time I rebuild! I have been jauntin on the idea if I could save up the money to get dual mikunis but I know a lot of guys would argue with me to stay with TBI though!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 08:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

A similar thing happened to me. Crank gear/woodruff key wore and was varying the timing. I was beating my head against a wall thinking it was a problem with the Weber. In my case, the bottom line was that I ended up swapping the motor out. I also found a piece of piston skirt and 2 mangled screws in the oil pan. I spoke with Brent from Trail Tough and he also said that this happens quite frequently. To add insult to injury, the crank bolt broke inside the crank......

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 10:16 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have a 1.3 in my garage with a chewed up crank end because the bolt backed out and the pulley/woodruff key moved around. Shame because it was one strong running engine. I tried putting it back together and welding the crank and pulley together hoping for the best but it only held for about an hour before the weld broke. Maybe if I could have gotten a better weld it would have worked.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 02:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Brent suggested using Marine Tex to solve this pproblem. He saaaid he has used it on a number ooof Samis that are still running around ttooday....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<
What is it and how do I tell if mines worn?

Thanks John
Rockett TX
>>
The cam drive belt runs off a cogged pulley on the crankshaft. This pulley is held on with a flange head bolt and there is a half moon key that fits in the crankshaft and this pulley slides up over the half moon key. The only way I would know to tell you how to check it is to take the belts, fan, fan pulley, timing cover, loosen timing belt tensioner and remove timing belt, and this gets you down to the cam drive pulley on the crankshaft. Remove the bolt from the end of the crankshaft and the cam drive pulley should slide off. The halfmoon key is then exposed. Remove it from it's slot and check it for wear. It should be smooth on its sides with no wear grooves. Be careful when removing the bolt from the end of the crank. If it gets hard to turn, work it back in and out little at a time and keep spraying penetrating oil on it until you've worked it all the way out. Don't try to force it out with a cheater pipe or impact 'cause it will break off in the end of the crank.

88 Sam 4.16,welded rear,lockt frnt,31"Hi-tech MTR's, 4.5 spoa,5k Ramsey,rears in frnt w/ML's, Calmini cam n header.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 11:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what is marine tex and where would I get it?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 10:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yea I'd like to know what Marine Tex is and where to get it. Just started on removing my crank sprocket since timing mark on pulley and TDC of piston are off a little.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode