gears and locker or flex??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 08:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

gears and locker or flex???

Whats the most importanbt..gears and a locker or flexibilty? I am lifted, still sprung under, and have @23-24 inches from the rocker panel to the ground. I have plenty of engine, plenty of tire and plenty of intestinal fortitude...what I ain't got is gears and flex. I need opinions on which way to go first. I will eventually do it all, but have to go one step at a time. If I go with flex, it'll take the cash for the gears and locker, and vice versa. Felle free to chime in with opinions and reasons for them!
Thanks,
R/T

88 Samurai, 1300 bored .020,Power Punch II head w/1600 exhaust valves,Low End AAPA cam,Weber,Calmini Header,2" Exhaust System,31/13.50/15 Baja Belted Radials

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 09:01 AM

Re: gears and locker or flex???

well from a guy that has lots of flex & no gears but got a rear locker i would go , locker & gears first . then flex. i smoked my cluch trying to wheel it
TW

Home Pagehttp://home.talkcity.com/SparkplugSt/trailwalker1/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 10:26 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Definitely gears and locker.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 12:49 PM

gears an locker.... you dont need a whole lot of flex to get over most things... you just gotta keep power to the wheels, but not so much that they spin... without gears your engine will stall and without lockers your tires will spin... wont go anywhere like that

i put the transfer case gears in about 3 months ago and it has made a night and day difference.... will install lockers one of these days too... definatly before i add more lift

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 01:01 PM

Ditto, gears and locker will overcome limited flex, but lotsa flex won't go anywhere if your smoking the clutch and spinning a tire.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 01:13 PM

tell me about it ! LOL nothing likt the smell of a burnning cluch in the morning LOL
TW

Home Pagehttp://home.talkcity.com/SparkplugSt/trailwalker1/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 01:43 PM
zukiman

I'll concur: Gears and lockers will make the biggest improvement for the money. But if you wanted to increase your articulation cheaply, you could install a set of Missing Links (RRO) or Drop Links (NCO) pretty affordably, provided that your brake lines and shocks are long enough.

-- Geoff Beasley

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 03:07 PM

Traction before twist. Any one that says different is crazy in my opinion

Marc Haught
[email protected]
www.serioussami.rockcrawler.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 05:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with the gears and locker,before flex.You will need to get there before you can flex it.Good luck,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 12:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

well fellers, call me the stick in the mud. i went with gears, but instead of a locker, i went with flex. i VALUE my comfortable ride much more than anybody out there evidently. i know how cheaply a set of YJs can be put under a rig. but mine is a daily driver and i HATE, yes HATE the handling characteristics of a locker in a zuk. i will not have one. a spool or welded rear, yes, locker nope. but like i said, im the stick in the mud and i like my rig comfortable. nothing i hate worse is goin roudn a corner, click, jerk in a zuk. their too dam light to be having that problem here in the mountains. i just plain done like a locker in em. if it were me man, id get gears then get me n rob down there one weekend n we'll get YJs under it for ya, get rid of them calmini 5s and have you some real flex. spend $$$ on a front d-shaft instead of a silly locker. you know how mine goes. im open diffed. got pics from zukimelt. crossed rock pile behind office. YES, i did need 2 little tugs from pollack, but if i had my steering brake or SPOOL so i could even traction, id been out without it. im still the ONLY open diffed rig to cross it to my knowledge. quite a feat seing as locked rigs were getting hung n tugged too. hummmm?????
just my opinion man.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode