NEW ENGINE OPTION (I hope) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 01:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

NEW ENGINE OPTION (I hope)

Tell me what you all think. A guy in my club sent this to me.

Here's Cummins' response to my inquiry about a possible replacement for the 1.3. Sounds promising. Can either of you tell me if the it'll fit to the tranny and what sort of gearing would be necessary for driveability given this engine's operating RMPs?

---------- Original Message ------------------------
Reply-to: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 13:10:30 -0500 (EST)

Summary: No Subject

Solution:

Thanks for your email message. We apologize for any delay in our reply.

We do not have a program at Cummins for re-powers of small trucks/vehicles (less than 8600 GVWR). You would need to talk to one of our authorized service providers in your area for engine details, application and pricing. We do have a couple smaller diesel engines that could be used in smaller than 8600 GVWR vehicles, which are the Cummins B3.3 and B3.9 4-cylinder diesels.

You should be able to put an SAE #2 (17.63"ID) or SAE #3 (16.13" ID) flywheel housing on the 4B series engine. There are Cummins flywheel housings that will mate up with GM 4-speeds and automatics, Ford 4-speeds and automatics, as well as Dodge A518 and A727 automatics and some Dodge manual transmissions.

The B3.3 is the first in a new generation of small Cummins diesels. Designed with the same toughness, reliability and durability you've come to expect from Cummins. Now, we can meet all your power needs, from 60 horsepower to 2000 horsepower. For pricing information, please contact the nearest authorized Cummins dealer or distributor.

BIG POWER. SMALL PACKAGE.

The Cummins B3.3 easily handles jobs that used to require a 4-liter engine with up to 85 horsepower and 215 lb-ft of torque! And its in-line 4-cylinder package is lighter and less expensive than competitive diesels. Compact dimensions (28 in x 22 in x 31 in)* mean the B3.3 fits easily into your small equipment.

Naturally Aspirated Turbocharged
Displacement 3.3 liters (199 cu. in.) 3.3 liters (199 cu. in.)
No. cylinders 4 4
Bore and Stroke 3.74 in. x 4.53 in. 3.74 in. x 4.53 in.
Compression Ratio 18:1 17:1
Dry Weight 520 lbs 553 lbs
Length 28.1 in 28.1 in
Width 19.5 in 21.9 in
Height 27.6 in 31.4 in
Horsepower up to 65 hp up to 85 hp
RPM 60 @ 2200 80 @ 2200
65 @ 2600 85 @ 2600
Torque 158 lb-ft @ 1600 215 lb-ft @ 1600
Fuel consumption .351 lb/hp-hr @ 1400 rpm .341 lb/hp-hr @ 1400 rpm
Coolant Capacity 4.5 liters (4.8 U.S. qt.) 4.5 liters (4.8 U.S. qt.)
Oil System Capacity 7.5 liters (7.9 U.S. qt.) 8.0 liters (8.5 U.S. qt.)

Some customers and independent shops have also used the Cummins 4-cylinder 4B3.9 or 4BT3.9 engine for re-powers, which has less hp and torque than the 6-cylinder version. The Cummins 4BT3.9 is rated 130 hp with peak torque of 327 lb-ft @ 1700 rpm. The 4BT3.9 engine is rated at 2500 rpm with peak torque at 1700 rpm and weighs 570 pounds (dry). The 4BT3.9 engine dimensions are:

Total height: 35.6 inches
Total length: 30.1 inches
Total width: 22.9 inches

Also keep in mind that the Cummins engine operates in a slower rpm range than most gasoline engines, which will probably require a rear axle ratio change to make the truck more drive-able, depending on the application and intended use of the vehicle.

Cummins B5.9 engines are certified by the EPA as 'heavy duty' diesels (8600 GVWR and above), therefore, we could not recommend our engines be installed in a vehicle less than 8600 GVWR, since they would not be EPA-approved for on-highway use. We believe this also applies to the B3.9 engine as well.

Cummins has built the standard 6B5.9 engine series in various horsepower and torque ratings for many different customers for many years. The standard mechanical, 12 valve B5.9 automotive engines from Cummins are:

160 hp with 400 lb-ft torque
190 hp with 475 " "
210 hp with 520 " "
230 hp with 605 " "
There are also many other ratings that range from 100 to 300 horsepower for off-highway applications, such as construction, genset, industrial, marine, mining, etc.

If you buy an engine from one of our authorized dealers or distributors, the engine warranty is valid from Cummins. You need to discuss with them when the warranty period will start, because it usually starts on trucks when the vehicle is ready for the customer to use. If a date is not established, then the date of purchase would start the warranty clock.

We are aware of a dealer that specializes in high performance engines and products and may be able to supply you with an engine or information to meet your special needs, that sells some repower kits for GM/Chevy/Ford repowers:

PRF Fleet Supply
808 BLUE MOUND RD
FORT WORTH TX 76131-1023
800-998-3033
817-232-5112, FAX
General Information: Glenn Hudson / [email protected]
Sales: Michael SeChrist / [email protected]

Thank you for your interest in Cummins power or products. Please let us know if you need assistance in locating the nearest Cummins-authorized distributor or dealer. Please feel free to use our International Dealer Locator: (http://www.cummins.com/partserv/intro.html) found on the Customer Assistance page of the Cummins website (www.cummins.com).

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 02:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: NEW ENGIN OPTION (I hope)

The weight of the engine concerns me tho.. 500 lb vs the zook's 200lb. granted with like 200lbft of torque (ehhehehehehehehehehehehheh
ehehehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehheheheheheh ehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehheheheheheheheheheh ehhehehehehe
hehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehe hehhehehehehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehheheh eheheheheheh
ehehhehehehehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehhehe hehehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehhehehehehehe hehehehehheh
ehehehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehheheheheheh ehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehheheheheheheheheheh ehhehehehehe
hehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehe hehhehehehehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehheheh eheheheheheh
ehehhehehehehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehhehe hehehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehhehehehehehe hehehehehheh
ehehehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehheheheheheh ehehehehehheheheheheheheheheh......) You get the idea..

Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 02:09 PM
Can't Get Enough

States that require emissions testing could be a problem too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 02:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

But if it is not or you are trailer only then this might be an option. Also about the weight people are putting in V6's and V8's all the time and they weight just as much if not more.

Jason

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 02:32 PM
mike shannon

i have owened some cumminc in the past. they are designed around heavy equipment. they will last forever if the oil is changed. but they are heavy as he// and noisy too. i am about to purchase another dodge 1 ton with a cumming great truck but still noisy standing around if its running. i just am not a fan of a diesel trail rig. they have great torque and will just barely sip fuel on the trail. with all that said i am trying to get a 2001 dodge wreck to make a killer trail rig. its a 4x4,24valve,6 speed h.o. set up. but i can tell you it will be noisy and bad. mike

zuks and toys
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 04:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I was thinking about talking to the local Kubota dealer to see if they sell replacement Diesel tractor engines. They may be a bit smaller than the Cummins. Another choice I thought of are the Diesels they use in light tower units used at construction sites. If I find some more information on these, I'll post it!

Ackerdackerly and

'Ol Yellow Wheels before...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 05:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

On spring leaf suspensions, that weight would be a major problem when you come down hard after catching air. Also, I think the possibility of busting motor and tranny/t-case mounts could be a problem once you start getting up to post 200 ft lbs torqe wise? I mean something has to give on that frame. But again, my main concern with a 500lb+ engine would be snapping that frame. Maybe with a decent coil suspension, but on leaf springs?
I watch my TJ buddies eat up the shock of dropping the front off a ledge or catching air going up a hill and dropping down the steep side with the coil suspension. But when I do the same trail, even with my light weight 1.3, I bang down pretty hard.
Anyone want to debate that and spread some learning around?

Neal the Zukiguy

88.5 Weber carb, header, 4.16 t-case, 31x10.5 M/T's, 2" s/r, 2 1/2" bod lift, front tube, Swift seats, on-board air
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 07:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: NEW ENGINE OPTION (I hope)

I think we are starting to go off course. The post was about a new engin option, not this is never going to work. Guys put big motors in there zuks that have way more weight and power than these do. I was just sharing info. You don't have to prove to me this is not going to work because I know from this list that with a Zuk anything is possible.

Jason

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 07:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think we are starting to go off course. The post was about a new engin option, not this is never going to work. Guys put big motors in there zuks that have way more weight and power than these do. I was just sharing info. You don't have to prove to me this is not going to work because I know from this list that with a Zuk anything is possible.

Jason

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 07:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like to throw topics like this up and instigate debate. I learn from it that way. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Neal the Zukiguy

88.5 Weber carb, header, 4.16 t-case, 31x10.5 M/T's, 2" s/r, 2 1/2" bod lift, front tube, Swift seats, on-board air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode