What's the best way to disengage the frt locker?.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

What\'s the best way to disengage the frt locker?..

Hey folks,
I've had a lockrite in the front for sometime now, and I love it! Makes a world of diff! No power-steering (yet), and turnin' a locked front end sportin' aired-down 33's is a chore! Isn't there some recipe to disengage the locker on the trail? Seems mine stays locked most of the time, and if I could talk it into unlockin' on command, I'd be a happier camper (I'd have an ARB if I could afford it, but...). Mike Shannon, didn't you say somethin' to me about gassin' it and lettin' off real quick while you're turnin' or somethin' like that?

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, Cal 4.16 t-case, Lkd Frt, welded rear, 8-point Roll Cage, etc, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 11:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: What\'s the best way to disengage the frt locke

Well you can try a little gas, But what I found works best is to unlock a hub in real tight stuff. Unless you have that
little ARB button or a cable (KAM) Locker you are stuck.
Now that I have power steering it isn't an issue.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 11:18 AM
mike shannon

Re: What\'s the best way to disengage the frt locker?..

i just put it in two wheel low and it drives fine. if jai didn't have 2 low he would still be trying to turn his around. i have to unlock a hub and put it in two low with my red zuk because its welded. most of the time i run it with one hub locked in and in 2wl and go to 3 wheel drive until it gets real rough then lock the other hub in. just try running in 2wl with the front locked in most of the time and switch it to 4wd when it gets tough. i run my land cruiser in 2wd 95% of the time just because it steers easy and take the pressure of the birfields. later mike

zuks and toys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I usually leave the front hubs locked and run in 2L most of the time, but even then it's a nightmare to steer...Like the locker is just refusing to unlock!

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, Cal 4.16 t-case, Lkd Frt, welded rear, 8-point Roll Cage, etc, etc.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 12:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You may not be able to shift out of 4 wheel or unlock the hubs (you can unlock them but the spring is not strong enough to pull the cobb out) if the drive train is wound up at all. I had to force mine into neutral on the x-fer case while it was wound up a little and it mad a good loud clunk.

Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 03:36 PM

Perry, Turn the wheel and then burp the throttle real good. Works everytime for me. What I use to do was come to a stop turn the wheel as far as I could and bump the gas. Trust me it works. Unless you like getting out and unlocking your hubs all day.

Marc Haught
[email protected]
www.serioussami.rockcrawler.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 01:49 AM
lilzeus

I run 2wd low and a lockrite up front. If its in 2wd of any sort, the front locker isnt a problem at all. What made the difference during steering for me was the panhard bar. I do about 75% less multiple turns now, I can just steer it and it goes in that direction immediately. All steering input (me) goes into turning the wheels now, Im not fighting bushings or the axle moving left and right. The panhard bar kit should come with a note, No Power Steering Required. hehe

ICQ# = 3859170
There's a new Sami website in town, and its...
http://members.home.net/micahis
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 06:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

SOUNDS LIKE THE LOCKER MAY BE BROKE. IF HE SHEERED THE FOUR PINS THEN THE LOCKER WOULD ACT LIKE A SPOOL(YES I HAVE DONE THIS MORE THAN ONCE). IF YOU BROKE A FRONT SHAFT AND KEPT PLAY'N THAT MIGHT HAVE DONE IT. ONE WAY TOO CHECK IS JACK UP THE FRONT AXLE LOCK THE HUBS (T-CASE IN TWO WHEEL) AND TRY TO SPIN A TIRE . IF IT SPINS THE OTHER TIRE THAN THE PINS MAY BE BROKE. WHAT HAPPENS IS WHEN THEY BRAKE THE DRIVERS GET WEDGED AGAINEST THE SIDE GEARS AND THEY CAN'T UNLOCK.MAKE SURE THAT YOU TRY TOO SPIN THE TIRE IN BOTH DIRECTIONS TOO UNLOCK THE LOCKER,IF IT IS BROKE TOU WONT BE ABLE TO UNLOCK IT. IF THAT IS THE CASE CALL LOCKRITE AND THEY WILL SEND U NEW PINS AND SPRINGS FREE. GOOD LUCK!!!

ADDICT
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 'freak, I'll give that a try!

Pillard
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Hey, where can I get some info on that cable (KAM) Locker you spoke of? I've never heard of that and would like to research it.

Pillard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode