Zook is not working right? Temp and stall. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Zook is not working right? Temp and stall.

Ok, I'm not sure what is wrong, but I can explain what is going on. Yesterday evening I was driving along and noticed the temp guage was peged @ the red! I pull over shut off, check the oil, water, wiggle this and that and turned the heater on in the cab. I started'er up again w/o the lights and the fan was blowing hard, the guage read a little under 1/2 and that is normal for me, hmmmmmm, ok lights on and drive away, like 20 seconds later red!!!!!!!!!!! So, I park under a street light and idle high with the lights off but the fan still is on. The temp guage returns to a little above normal for me. I turned the fan off, and voliah the temp guage returns to normal?!?!!?!?! Lights on, temp guage spike red, lights off normal. I checked'er with another battery, same thing. I have a heavy duty 40amp charger, tried that, lights were brighter but still no change temp guage peak on the red. Go figure?! I did check the water temp in the rad with a candy thermometer 150 degres after the drive home with the guage on red (that was disturbing).
Also, this is worring me.... If I put a high drain on the electrical system (high beams, fan, and light bar), the engine stalls. Even when I had the battery charger on it! Also, with the engine off and the battery charger on the 40amp mode, it is putting about 10 amps in. When the engine is running the ammeter on the charger goes to 30~40 amps! I checked this with a volt meter, I get about 13 volts right off the battery with the engine running. With the engine off, it is very high 12s (12.8 12.9). She starts fine (no slugish starting), lights are bright, charge or alternater light does not come on.
Should I take the alternater to the local parts store for a check? The belt is new also.. Dig this too.. If I unplug the light sockets in the front, the temp guage still goes up, but not nearly as fast. I have a high performance coil on the zook, I checked the nut tightness on that (got shocked too, ouch).

One last thing, with the ignition on and the motor off, I'll RARELY hear a clicking sound from the carb area of the engine. It sounds like a relay clicking on and off very fast. I wiggled this and that and nothing changed. My zook does know how to swim, so maybe I've fried the alternater? Maybe 10 or 20 too many water crossings, doh!
Alternater relocation time?

Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 11:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Zook is not working right? Temp and stall.

You can have the alt checked, and also there is a connection in the wiring harness you should check too. I know there was a thread about it last year, It is where the wire from the
alt is tied to the rest of the electrical, It is crimped on and that connection get corroded over time. You should strip back the electrical tape on the harness till you find it and check that too. You should be reading about 13.8+ volts when the engine is running.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 01:57 AM
lilzeus

Have alt checked and battery too. 12.8-12.9 volts doesnt sound spectacular as far as a battery goes. If you have dunked the thing more than once, its probably the alt. And when you do that, the batt is next. Been there, done that.

ICQ# = 3859170
There's a new Sami website in town, and its...
http://members.home.net/micahis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 01:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The temp gage sender is something to check...

It is a thermister (thermal resistor) type device that could be giving you a clue here.

Try disconnecting the electrical wire from the sender itself. The sender is located on the intake manifold just below the thermostat and has ONE wire coming out of it. Do not confuse it with the unit with TWO wires as that one is connected to the ECM, not the temp gage. Also, don't let the metal part of the connector touch anything metal on the zuke -- it is carrying a voltage.

Start the engine and run the tests that you described, especially the one where you turn everything on causing the engine to stall. If none of the bad things happen with the temp sender disconnected, then it is the sender unit at fault -- it is probably shorted or has drastically changed value for the worse.

Ackerdackerly and

'Ol Yellow Wheels before...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I had the alt. checked, it passed. The problem has not been persistant, I dunno........ I'll prob. have to go out and buy a seperate temp guage.

I'm LOCKED!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I was searching the bbs, and found this:
First the problem, engine temp gradually gets to hot after 10 or so miles of interstate speed but cools down immediatly at stop sign. First guess is a stopped up radiator then, a faulty thermostat (only partially opening) then, bad waterpump, then slipping belts, then engine timing. Finally after all else failed I removed the thermostat altogether. Guage read cold and did not climb but heater didn't work either. When I pressed clutch pedal just enough to touch throw out bearing I noticed the lights would get a little brighter. Duh! I had a marginal ground that would feed through the temp. sending unit. The higher the sending unit signal, the better the ground through it and the higher it would read. Installed braided ground strap from motor mount bolt to frame. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! I now have a freshly cleaned radiator, a new thermostat, a new water pump, a new timing belt and idler, and new fan belts. I'm supposed to be a mechanic, and old one at that. I hope this helps some other poor soul. I coulda checked my grounds with some jumper cables.

I'm going to replace that dag gum little cable and check some other grounds on the zook. I'll have the results this evening!

I'm LOCKED!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode