Spools - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Spools

Ive got the lockrite and love it. But, it clanks and makes noises that no other locker ive ever had made. It gets driven on the street some but id love to have a spool. I searched the bbs and found that they do make or are working on making one. Any info on how to get one or where to find one would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if the lockrite breaks will it destroy the gear.

Will
"It aint the wand its the magician"
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 10:43 PM

Re: Spools

The spools are coming, but they are having difficulties finding a machine shop that can put out a couple hundred each of a dozen different applications in a timely manner. There was a post by someone else that mentioned a price of $130 for one, the manufacturer laughed over that one, and said that when available, they will be in the $200+ price range, the Lockright from us will still be close to $50 less than the spool, but we will have them as soon as available, and at the best price whatever that comes out to. While a little noisy, it is rare for a Lockright to let go. Did you go to the heavier weight oil called for in the install sheet?

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Im runnin 80-90. I hope thats what im supposed to run. Thats what ive always run in all my other lockers but i used additive in them. I buy the 80-90 by the bucket so i hope im usin the right stuff. Plus its a royal PITA to drain it cuz i no longer have a drain plug.

Will
"It aint the wand its the magician"
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 11:06 PM

Check your install sheet, they call for a heavier lube than 80-90 weight.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 11:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i used heavy weight oil and my lock rite was noisy as hell. in out in out pop pop bang bang. worst i'd ever had , but it worked gret and did not fail. i was also the one that posted about the spool from randy's ring and pinion and i even called em back and as of 3 weeks ago they advised me they were still shooting for a $130 area price and that they should be available within 30 days. and that you can get em directly from randy's.

p.s. don't you have some binder axles fer sale??? i might be interested.

87 sammy (RAIL BUGGY) PROJECT 50 % complete. isuzu/chevy luv motor, auto tranny, tube chassis,3 link coils rear,at least 35" boggers, and whatever else i can get a deal on and modify.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 04:20 AM
lilzeus

You know, I have had my locker in and out of Sami carriers, probably like 3 of them, and now in a Sidekick carrier and never had it pop pop bang bang. I mean, nothing other than normal. There is always the occasional *snap* and it catches while on road. Never a peep while offroad. I think there is something people are not doing when they install them because I have heard noisy ones before.

ICQ# = 3859170
There's a new Sami website in town, and its...
http://members.home.net/micahis
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 07:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I must agree with lilzeus I have run the lockrite and the Detroit and I can't tell the differance between them. They both work great and every once in a while they pop and bang. I have also broke the 4 littie pins on both brands. No big deal though both companys sent me new one FREE!

ADDICT
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 10:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Man, this seems like foo-foo and I'm a little bummed. Just got off the phone with Randy's. It's on the drawing board. They don't even have a proto yet. Production and release is a ways off. No word on price, but it should be comparable to a locker, maybe more.

I recommended that if they are going the distance to engineer a Sammy spool, then they might want to consider one for the Sidekick rears too. I explained the "hybrid" rears that are out, and they were familiar with them. I explained that many hard core wheelers who would spool a rear would most likely also go hybrid. They will keep that in mind during R&D.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 02:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I spoke with richmond gear and they're a ways off for third member applications.

Go Big! If not in your ride, in your heart!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 05:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hello,
I have a 94 sami with 31's and I welded the rear a year and a half ago. I drive it everyday to work!!! It takes whatever punishment that you can give it! and it cost about five dollars! No poping or jerking when you shift gears, it goes straight period. Ihad a lockrite in the rear of my toyota, could'nt kill it but the unwanted lane changes and the noise was very aggrevating.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode