The locker is in!!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The locker is in!!!!!!!

WHOOOOOOOOOWHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to NCO for the lockrite locker! I was kinna caught off guard tho, it is shipped in a very small box! I thought this was going to be a big ass box that weighed like 50 lbs and had the caution, use 2 people to lift and a whole bunch of stickers on it! Good things come in small packages! I'll prob have'er installed by tommrow evening, I've got to clean out the garage this evening. I dunno if the side couplers are any good in my zook now. What do I do if they are worn? Can I get them @ discount auto or a generic auto parts store? I'll make sure to video tape the whole install for refrence. Pointers are always appreciated., welcome to the wonderfull world of locked and lifted, that would make a cool club name. But I am also swamped !!
Night..

Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 10:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: The locker is in!!!!!!!

Dont take this the wrong way but i jus finished mine and i can tell you that its gonna take longer than a few hours. Its easy to put the locker in the 3rd member but everything else is a PITA. You need to go ahead and replace the axle seals, i changed my bearings too jus cuz its already apart so you might as well do it now. Napa is the only place that i know of that can get the bearing AND retainer. If youre rear u joints arent in good shape you should change them cuz with the locker theyre takin more strain. My side couplers were a little worn but i used them anyways. Hasnt hurt anything yet. I havent had it offroad but dumpin the clutch at 6,000 rpm on asphalt has yet to hurt it.

About the driveability. Tight u turns are almost impossible. Dont gas thru a tight turn, if the tires dont break loose then sumthin else is gonna give. Take it from experience on that one. BUT, it doesnt slide out as much now in rain and slick roads as it did when it wasnt locked.

My install turned into a royal PITA but thats mainly due to that dang drain plug. It was well worth my trouble. If you have any questions post here or email me. Id be glad to help.

Will
"It aint the wand its the magician"
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 10:37 PM

Your side gears will be fine, just follow the instructions and flip them side to side so they are now wearing on the almost unused face that was used for reverse.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 10:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I dont think we flipped my side gears. They werent worn bad but they were worn. Do you think thats the reason it makes more noise than detroits (the real detroit, not the ez locker) ive had in the past. I dont want to take it apart and flip them but if i need to i can. What do you think.

Will
"It aint the wand its the magician"
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 12:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm await'in on two lockrite lockers for front and back
gee sounds like this might turn into a big job.

Hope folks around help me out when locker time comes.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 04:15 AM
lilzeus

Calm down, calm down. Its a very easy job I have done it many times. The instructions from Lockrite are very good, follow them to a T. Like Tim said, swap the side gears from one side to the other. Its part of the instructions anyway. I had pics of me doing a locker but they all turned out fuzzy, who was that darn camera operator.

If you didnt flip your sidegears around, then in forward you could encounter slipping of the locker from tooth to tooth. It would take that kind of abuse for a while to wear down the locker, so if it hasnt been that way for a long time yer OK. I would pull it out and swap the gears. Once you have done it(pulled the 3rd member and installed a locker) its much easier the second time around.

Tips: use impact to remove carrier to ring gear bolts, and carrier case bolts. Just set it low. Mark everything! The bearing cap(s), especially the adjuster(s) and dont mix up the bearings or their races. I say it that way, (s) because if you mark one side, you dont need to mark the other because their are only 2 sides. Clean clean clean! Clean it till it shines! Clean out every bolt hole too! I spray carb or brake cleaner in each one nice and good, then air nozzel from compressor with a rag held over the hole s I dont get sprayed. You want every bolt hole to be clean of gear oil. When puttil bolts back in, use thread locking compound. Clean off ALL, every single morsel(sp?), of silicone sealant from the 3rd member before reassembly. Clean out the housing too. To set adjusters if you dont have a spanner wrench use 2 philips screw drivers criss crossed. Take one, poke it into a hole on the left, poke the other into the right and make it go under the one on the left. Now they are ready to tighten. Hope that makes sense.

ICQ# = 3859170
There's a new Sami website in town, and its...
http://members.home.net/micahis
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Once the side couplers are flipped, is there a higher change of the locker disengaging in reverse? Should I byte (hehe) the bullet and get a new set of couplers from suzuki or somewhere else? Lemme know....

thanx

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 10:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You have one place to get the side gears from. Suzuki. No one else makes them to my knowledge. You may also need a new differential joint, or "pinion block' as some call it.

Here's the problems:

1) New OEM sidegears will not work. The design changed in late 1993. You will need to have a "ridge" on the gear either bench ground or lathe turned off. If you buy them from Petroworks, they will do this for you (for a fee I think). They are about $40 per coupler without the modification.

2) Differential Joints are NOT available for early model Sammys (late 80's). But if you ask for one for a 1994 rear diff, then you can get one. It's the same part. Don't ask me why, but thats the way I found it.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I'm doing research now, but what is a pinion block. Is that the housing the ring is bolted to? Do these wear out? Would one want to replace them?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 01:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Suzuki calls in a differential joint. It's the square block with holes that hold the 3 pins and the spiders. You need to reuse it unless there is wear. If it is in the rear diff, there is a good chance there is wear. You want it to fit snug, like a new one.

As for side gears, you want them to look vitually new. You should still see the casting texture on the teeth. If the teeth shine, replace the sidegears.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode