How drivable would this be? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 11:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How drivable would this be?

Getting psyched about getting back home this weekend and finally being able to get to work on my Zuk...I have a spare set of 31-10.50x15 BFG ATs that have been hanging around for a couple years and was wondering:

If I go SPOA (probably happening no matter what, seems like the best lift/ride/drivability option to me), mount up my 31s and try to drive my poor little stocker Zuk without regearing, just how bad will it be? Will I be able to do 55-65 flat ground? Would I be able to manage road speeds up moderate hills?

Basically, I am dying to make my Zuk more off-roadable, but am still trying to keep it road worthy and legal for a backup vehicle. Besides, for right now I want to drive it to the trails, hard-core times where I will trailer it will come later.

Anyone with any experiences along these lines please speak up.

SPUDZUKI
'87 stock Samurai, lots of work to be done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 11:36 AM

Re: How drivable would this be?

We had a guy running 31's or 32's on the Rubicon with stock gearing. He was smoking his clutch big time. He ended up trading someone for their 235's while we were at camp.

I don't think you can get away with 31's on stock gears. I'm running 31's with the 4.16 case and my max speed is about 65 on flat/55 on slight uphill/45 on mountain roads).

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 11:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have 33" tires stock gears and have be pulled over doing 75MPH. I go to tellico and have had little problems with the configuration. But I also know what I can and can't do. I have smoked my clutch three times and found out that it was adjusted wrong. Usally I will stall out before I do anything eles. BTW I can run 60 - 65 flat ground and have no engin mods. (that I know about) I also have 268,000 miles on my motor. So I guess the best thing to do is try it and if you don't like it get gears it would be the next thing you want to buy anyways. And then lockers. Lift, tires, gears, and lockers. Thats all you need to go anywhere you want to go.

Jason

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 11:45 AM
WSB

That setup with stock gears will definately smoke the clutch when offroad. On the highway(flat ground)it wouldn't be too bad. But hills will kill it, downshifting, overrevving the motor to get any kind of speed. I would have loaded tractor trailers passing me on long hills. Don't forget about strong head winds.

I put the Calmini 1 piece gear in the T-case and what a difference. Crawls good offroad, highway driving it will do 75-80 mph - assuming speedo is only about 5 mph off.

Wayne

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 12:00 PM
Can't Get Enough

It's do-able. JHS is right, give it a go, and you can always re-gear later. I had 32" tires on my Zuke when I got it - stock motor with a weber carb. Did ok, no speed records!
You won't use 5th gear much. But you can get around. So unless you're taking a long highway trip, I think you'd be alright with a soa/31/stock motor setup.
But be warned: You'll be wanting more mods soon [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. The soa is just the first step....

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Scott Trester - '88.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 12:53 PM

I'm running 31x10.5 TSL's with the 4.16 tcase and stock diffs.
The approx speed difference for me is
speed > actual speed
20 > 25
28 > 35
35 > 45
45 > 55
55 > 65

These speeds are approximate. I used a Garmin 3+ to get actual speed.

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 01:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Spudzuki, you've been in my Zuk down the street! It has some more pick-up in it and I'm running stock gears! Been thru 3 clutches and one of them was not the gearing, it was a cracked dist. case, and rear main that leaked oil into the bellhousing and ate my clutch on the trail! If you want give me a call before Thru. and I'll take ya down the feeway, the wife was behind me and said I was going around 63MPH on flat ground. But, I never go out of 3rd, sometimes get into 4th if I have the wind behind me!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] That is with my 16x35" Boggers! Give me a call if you want to take a ride down 70! Later

-Brian

ULTIMATE ZUK
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 02:08 PM
Old Hand

I'm SPOA (6"lift total), 31x10.50's and stock gears. I'm running a Pony carb and 2" exhaust.

Is this do-able? Very

Do I still need/want lower gears? Yes

I've had this set up for several years with no problems. I'm using a stock (Advanced Auto) clutch. As long as the clutch is adjusted properly you won't smoke it. You'll just stall the engine. I have been in several situations were I had traction but was stuck because the engine didn't have enough power to turn the tires over. Lower gearing is needed to run 31's properly.

It's very flat where I live so I can run 5th most of the time. Forget 5th on windy days or driving over hills.

I'm in the process of saving up for a GRS1!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/jbird88_5/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/zuwharrieinfo/
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 07:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the input guys, I will (pending wife's approval of course) be going spring over as soon as possible after getting back home, mount up the 31s and hope for the best!

Of course, after I either smoke the clutch or complain about lack of power, then maybe the wife will knuckle under on a transfer case/gears upgrade ;D

SPUDZUKI
'87 stock Samurai, lots of work to be done
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 08:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Now your thinking buddy! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-Brian

ULTIMATE ZUK
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode