Mounting beadlock rims - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Mounting beadlock rims

Hello Guys,

Well my Bart beadlock rims finally arrived, 15X8's with a 2 inch backspace. But there are no instructions on how to mount them. I've called around to several tire shops and most of the wiennies won't touch them, one shop offered to mount the tires for $25 each (this is mounting only). So my first question is what is the "trick" on how to squeeze the tire bead over the edge of the rim? Do I need to buy or rent some type of tire "iron"??? My second question is how much torque should I put on the lock ring bolts? Is there any reason not to use lock-tite (the blue stuff)? Any other gotcha's???

Thanks,
James Hiers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 09:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Mounting beadlock rims

1 Put wheel on flat surface with the valve front side up.
2 Remove the beadlock assembly from the wheel, setting the outer ring, bolts and washers aside.
3 Lay the tire to be mounted face down next to the wheel, lubricate the tire's back bead (the bead that will not be beadlocked).
4 Place the tire on top of the wheel, shoving it down hard over the top of the wheel, pushing the back bead down over the inner beadlock ring (mounted on the front of the wheel) to the rear rim lip. The outer tire bead needs to sit on top of the outer wheel rim.
5 Center the wheel in the middle of the outer tire bead to be locked, making sure the same distance is kept all along the rim lip and the tire edge.
6 With the wheel centered, lay the beadlock outer ring down on top of the tire lip and visually line up the bolt holes.
7 Starting with the bolt holes at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions, place bolts with washers in those holes. Tighten them by hand and turning them 3 or 4 turns - just snug but not tight. This will allow you to bump the tire and adjust its position around the beadlock prior to the final tightening. Tip: mark these positions on the inner ring with a dab of paint to aid in later steps
8 Proceed and install the bolts and washers at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions. After securing these bolts by hand you can proceed to install the remaining bolts in a crossing pattern to insure that the ring is not pulled to one side too much.
9 After installing all the bolts and washers it is now time to check and make sure the tire is seated evenly all the way around the inner beadlock seat. If it is not, bump the tire with a tire tool or hammer and adjust it to the correct position.
10 Using a ratchet and socket, tighten the bolts in the same pattern as they were installed. Tighten to the point where the bolt heads are down to the ring face, but not more.
11 With all the bolts snugly tightened, take a torque wrench and start tightening each bolt in the original installation pattern used in steps 7 and 8. Torque the bolts to at least 12 ft./lbs. Do not exceed 15 ft./lbs. NOTE: The tightening process creates stresses in the ring that changes the torque on all bolts - the next step is absolutely necessary.
12 It is important that the following procedure is followed. After the first time around the beadlock, the bolts will need to be tightened again.
EACH BEADLOCK WHEEL BOLT MUST BE TIGHTENED AND CHECKED FOR CORRECT TORQUE SPECIFICATION 3 TIMES. DON'T SKIMP ON THIS STEP!
13 After following these procedures you will be ready to inflate the tire and install it on the vehicle. To check for leaks, use soapy water.
YOU CANNOT CHECK THE TORQUE ON BEADLOCK WHEEL BOLTS TOO OFTEN!
Check before and after every event!

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 10:08 AM

James,

A wise man once told me: "A little lubrication goes a long ways." [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Try some dishwashing detergent & a little water. Push one side of the bead over the rim's edge, but not too far. Then rotate the tire as if you were screwing on a giant mason-jar lid, pushing down the whole time at the leading edge of the bead. It should go on pretty easily.

Next, position the outside bead as centered as possible to the bead-lock surface. Place the external rim over the top of it, aligning the holes. Depending on the wheel's design & the bead thickness, the bolts may not be long enough. You gotta get some longer to install the lock. You will only need ~8 of them. Screw them in 45 degrees apart and start snugging them down in a criss-cross pattern (kinda like torquing down a cylinder head). This will seat the lock, and allow you to use the supplied bolts. Take care to watch the tire bead- make sure it is staying centered. Keep with the criss-cross tightening until you've got them all. Blue lock-tite is fine (not red, tho) I'm sure the wheel manufacturers have torque recommendations for the beadlocks, but I couldn't say what they would be. I know the wheels usually come with grade 8 bolts, so that should say something... With everything new you shouldn't have any problems with sealing, although I have heard of guys having to use silicone to seal the bead part.

Okay, that should answer your question -
now where are the pictures of your new <font color=red>1/4 Elliptical suspension?!?</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

OILBURNER [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There are a few close ups of his 1/4 rear at our club web site.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/gazuks

Jason

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 10:22 AM

The photo section sez "for members only" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

OILBURNER [email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 10:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I will fix sorry

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 11:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

here you go.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-519126-rear1.jpg (22.6 KB, 0 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 11:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

more

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-519129-rear2.jpg (20.2 KB, 0 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 11:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

more

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-519130-rear3.jpg (19.0 KB, 0 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 11:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

more

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-519131-rear3.jpg (19.0 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode