Getting doors off - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Getting doors off

Need some advice, i'm trying to get my doors off but I can't
turn those bloody screws. I've been beating the [censored] out of them with an impact driver to no avail...heat + impact driver = burnt figure + no screw removal. Has anyone drilled them out and used bolts. If so can you tell me what size of bolt and how many thread per inch. Thanks

Duck tape is like the force, it has a dark side, a light side and it holds the universe together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 02:08 PM

Re: Getting doors off

I drill mine out to avoid caving the tub in with the hammer. If you are REAL careful you can just drill down to the end of the head and take a pammer and screw driver and pop the head off. After you've removed all the screws you can remove the door and there should be enough room to take a pair of vice-grips to the screw shafts to remove the rest.

I don't know what the thread pattern is on them. I took the screw shaft to the local boating hardware store and asked for stainless hex screws. They cost about $6.00 for both front doors but are nice and easy to remove.

However, after a summer of bolting and unbolting I'm beginning to lean towards cutting the hinges...

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case (not sure how I like it), 29 Super Swampers (31 BFG M/T knock offs - eventually) AARRRRRRRG!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 02:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can cut the hinges while they are on. But I would use a dremal to do it. Use duct tape and tape a sheild around the hinge so if you slip it will hit the sheild. There are a few different posts on door removal you can search for also.

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 02:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a couple rust holes around the hinges that I want to fix so unfortunately the doors have to come off.

Thanks

Duck tape is like the force, it has a dark side, a light side and it holds the universe together.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 02:52 PM

Do a search or look a few posts back, there was a good post called "hinge screws" or somthing. There was lots of good ideas to get the damn phillips head screws out there. What i do is take a good chissel and a large hammer. Put the chissel on an angle on the edge of the head of the screw, then hammer away. It should dig in, but if it just slips off, dont put it at an angle, just straight to make the notch then do it at an angle, this works really well and i suceed every time. all you need is it to break it free then you can finish it with a screwdriver or whateverr. Impact drivers havent worked too well for me. If the heads arent stipped, and you got a 3/8" air impact, you could use the #3bit and the 3/8" adaptor for your impact driver on your air impact and try to get it off that way. I do that somtimes and it always works well becuse you can put a lot of Force against the head so it wont stip and all you goto do about turning it is hit the button. You shouldnt have to cut them off. I dont know what the thread is but if you take any bolt with a 12mm head from your zuk to the hardware store it will be the same as the hinge bolt.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 02:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You can take a file and file 2 flats on either side of the
bolt. Then take a big fairly new vise grip and clip it onto the bolt straight on(90 deg from the body) stick a large screwdriver into the jaw of the vise grip and twist, it should pop free. Other than that heat the snot out of it.
Good luck

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 03:07 PM

Another way is to use a Dremel and cut a groove across the head of the screw. Then after applying heat to the screw head, use a BIG regular screwdriver to get them out. Heat is the secret, you have to get the screw hot enough to melt the locktite on the threads.

Larry Robertson
88.5 Samurai-Under construction-always
90 Samurai-Under construction-always
97 Suzuki Sidekick Sport-Wife's ride
Way too much horsepower is barely enough!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 03:13 PM

Some of the screws on mine came out easily and some didn't. Some were even so difficult that they twisted Craftsman size 3 phillip bits.

What I did to remove the stubborn ones was take a drill that was slightly smaller than the bolt size. I then drilled down just far enough into the head that it releived some of the pressure on the head. Then I took a flathead screwdriver and put it into the drilled out head and turned it. Some of them were loosened up enough from the drilling that it came out that way. Others I then tapped the head off and removed the bolt left over by hand (or vice grips if it happened to be rusted).

I can't remember the exact specifics of the bolts, but the package on the ones I got from Orchard Supply were M8 1.25 in length.

Once you have one of the bolts out just take it in and find a metric size 8 that is the correct length. I went with allen keyed bolts.

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 03:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the hell I'll be sure to post some pics when the resto work is complete or close to it...

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 03:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the hell I'll be sure to post some pics when the resto work is complete or close to it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode