Venting....Doesn't Anyone Care? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Venting....Doesn\'t Anyone Care?

Last time my wheels & tires were off was when a local Goodyear dealer mounted & balanced my Hi Tech's. Funny thing though, I knew something was up with the young fellow who did the mounting/balancing. It was kind of a mischievious feeling I was picking up. Well, I found out the other day when I went to remove them to work on the brakes. Couldn't budge them. Not a snowball's chance in hell to get them off with normal hand tools. Lucky for me, a buddy of mine was home who lives down the block from me and I used his impact gun to loosen them and then I retorqued them properly. If I was out on the road and needed to change a tire, I would have been screwed! I've got half a mind to go back there and let them know that they should be more careful. Asided from not being able to remove them, there is always the possibility of damaging the rotors and or studs. Lucky for me, all is well....so far.
My point is, doesn't anyone care what kind of job they do? I tend to find this becoming a problem more and more. Not only in the automotive arena, but everywhere.
It wasn't too long ago that a rather unpleasant young cashier at the grocerey store received my "Why it's great to be alive " sermon. He was in no uncertain terms, making it clear to everyone that he was not happy being there. Very bad medicine.
Maybe he left the grocerey store and went to work for Goodyear?

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 08:06 AM

Re: Venting....Doesn\'t Anyone Care?

This is an issue my wife and I discuss all the time. Having worked in the service industry for so many years both of us are VERY aware of poor service. Sad to say we've seen it in every position from food service worker to police officer. On a few occassions we've pointed it out to the offending person or to the managers but rarely is something done.

Just last week I was at the Fed Ex office and had to endure the employee's 15 minute rant about how their company "sucked." I called the headquarters to let them know that their employees were unhappy. All I got was a "So?" attitude from the person on the other end. Needless to say, I am now shipping with UPS.

I don't know how to help the situation. I guess that there are just a lot of unhappy, mean spirited people in the world. It's ashame, since we only have one go around here (on Earth). We should really at least try to enjoy it...

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case (not sure how I like it), 29 Super Swampers (31 BFG M/T knock offs - eventually) AARRRRRRRG!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 09:21 AM

I'm trying to skirt the issue of unhappy people (since I have little control over the population as a whole) and stick with the topic of the BOZO approach every tire center (except one) in my entire life has. I have stopped using aluminum rims because of the lack of care at the shops and as for my last set of steel rims from 4 wheel wholesale - they put on so hard and fast they melted the seat of the nut to the rim! Those freakin air wrenches! I've had stripped studs, snapped studs, ring marks drilled into the rim from the socket... I am tired of this battle... Is a torque wrench too much to ask? If I could get the tire on the rim and balance it myself I would. As it is now 4 Wheel charges $12 to do it and is offended when I say "no, thanks, I am going to carry them out" I still get charged the full $48 even when I'm doing a third of the job.

As for the bigger question... Why the attitude?
I'll blame the media for the general "life's unfare" attitude that everyone (almost) seems to mope around with.

Children in this country are mislead over and over from Santa, to "You can be anything in this great country you want to be", to the lies about the dangers of alcohol and other recreational... things. As your eyes open growing up you learn that Santa was an NLR program to mold your behavior, prejudice comes in too many forms (hey, 1 is too many let alone 1,000), and in spite of the scare tactic films in junior high, some of the coolest people you'll meet drink, have s.., experiment in recraetional.. medication. Then the news media answers questions you never asked (you didn't need to know)concerning how fortunate some are (so and so is an a$$, doesn't do anything but spend your tax money all day... and how unfortunate others are and offer no solutions or outlet for the crap they stuff in your ears.

People in general judge themselves by comparing themselves to their peers. How many notice "their peers" are imaginary? "Friends"? "Melrose Place"? Few people have such a tight network of good looking people with daily drama that ends on such positive notes. But we assume we should and are not shown how to. So we are left feeling "cheated", or below the social norm, or worse.

I won't even get into the stomping out of creativity / individuality. I must stop, my soapbox time is up.

Hey look, I'm doing a thesis.... Sorry, I'll stop. thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 09:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

My experience is with Big-o tire.I have had to stop on several occasions to tighten loose lug nuts.The last time I had problem,I made them install all new lugs-then they used 1/2 lug nuts-stripped all the new threads off 20 studs.What do you do,but watch every move they make.Good luck,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 10:00 AM
Pooh-Bah

Couldn't budge them. Not a snowball's chance in hell to get them off with normal hand tools. <<

My take on that is to make sure if you go to a place like this(like I worked) to specify you want your lugs hand torqued if tourqe sticks are not used, and if you see it not being done bitvh them out. They dont care about you as customer(alot of places) they just want to sell you everything they can, an if you dont buy, in my experiance your a cheap SOB and they want to get your car out as fast as possible to try and rip the next person off .. this is just from my experiance from visiting these places in the past and just recently working at these places(not any more though).

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Part of the problem stems from being in an instant gratification society. People want instant sucess and they want it now. There are no "dues" to be paid. Sadly, they miss the lessons of the journey, only focusing on the destination.
Society also equates material aquisition with fulfillment and people are left with a haunting sense of lack. I only hope that the young ones open (this also applies to the "mature" folks as well) their eyes to what the reality is.
I suppose I became too accepting of this behavior, only to have Karon (Mandy) point this general displeasure in the workplace out to me. She mentioned that it would never be tollerated in NZ, as jobs are few and far between and management would dismiss anyone with that type of attitude. Everyone in their service industries that I met was very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. It's ashame that we don't adopt the same workplace mentality.....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Neighbors of mine always ask me why I'm always working on my zooks. They wonder why I don't just bring it to a mechanic to have the work done.
Other than the pleasure & satisfaction I get from working on it myself, I usually respond by saying "Why pay to have it screwed up? I can do that for free."
Only once in memory that a job was done really well for me. It was in the winter and I needed a clutch. Having no garage to work in, I brought my 91 to a local shop that has a very good reputation. They did a great job for a fair price and haven't had to touch it since. I also watched the shop owner and the employees as how they interacted. He always made a point of them being responsible for everything they did and questioned their reasoning when a mistake was made (and he corrected). The owner always stressed quality. Needless to say, they are always busy and it's tough to get an appointment with them.

All Good Medicine,
Crow

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 12:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Crow

I could talk for hours on this subject.
I always got to the top now.
I want MANAGERS/OWNERS!!!
I have a beef=MANAGER/OWNER.
Employee sucks=MANAGER/OWNER.

This is the only way to get results. No resiults after that? GO ELSEWHERE.....

I've noticed if the manager/owner has a "big deal" attitude to your problem, he's the problem in the first place. Bad leadership, bad employees.

I stay away from BIG stores that give LIttle results. $10 more elsewhere can save me BIG $$$ in the long run. Let me talk to someone who "KNOWS" something.
If the sentence comming out of the employee has "I dunno" and is NOT followed by "I'll make sure and check that for you", I'm outta there.

Restaurants:
BAD service=NO TIP!! PERIOD......If the person serving is having a bad day that's not MY PROBLEM! If you hate your job and hate to seve people GET ANOTHER JOB!!!

The service industry is tuff. there ARE bad customers as well as bad servers.
The problem is I'm a GOOD customer and wish to be seved like one, end of story

The end.

DannyL

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 02:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Crow:

Ah, memories...

I bought a new set of tires just before me 'n the kid went to the Melt this summer...

A few days ago, I had reason to take off the right front wheel...

Imagine my suprise when the one of the "hand-tightened" wheel nuts was badly stripped close to the wheel!

I imagine that the bozo who took the wheel off had bumped the impact wrench switch into "forward" and mangled the stud trying to take it off!

I'll be dropping by the local tire shop sometime this week to see what the manager/owner wants to do about this...

Maybe I'll wear my Fox 4 News polo shirt -- it has helped me in the past with situations like this!

PS: I got the M.O. -- will box it up and shoot it out by Tuesday latest!

Ackerdackerly and

'Ol Yellow Wheels before...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 02:59 PM

Honestly I think it falls back on how they are raised by their parents. People today don't treat each other with respect. If i was ever rude or disrespectfull to anyone and my dad found out he would beat my ass. This includes at work. I was raise on the follow ethics. Respect other people, Work hard, and love your family.

Marc Haught
[email protected]
www.serioussami.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode