cams and turbo. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 11:16 AM
JKing

cams and turbo.

Hi guys, It's been long time since i looked into this site and also posted.

Anyway, I've been thinking seriously recently to put in a tiny turbo for a soft boost to help take off
but not looking for a huge boost since the samurai wasn't made for racing along the highways anyway...
After talking to some of the mechanics, I decided not to since it's gonna cost some money just for fabrication.

So, I thought that I amy put in a new cam.....but MY QUESTION is that "by putting a new cam, do I need
to also change new seats for where the cam lobe contacts the thing that lifts the valve?"

My reason for asking is that since the engine has been stock all this while, it have a wear pattern
that will definitely be different from the new cam (no wear at all). Will changeing just the new cam cause me to
have to work on the clearence every now and then till the wear pattern sinks in?

I know it's impossible to have top end speed and huge torque at low end with one cam. I am looking more into
torque at low to medium RPM (between standstill till 3500) and also trying not to sacrifice the top speed.
The engine sees constant 4000 rpm on freeway and sometimes when I feel wild, it sees 5500 to 6000 RPM

Anyone knows of the type of cams I should get? I see that Glenn of Summit Offroad offer two type from Iskenderian Cam
and at the same time, Dave of AZ sells a larger selection of cams from AAPAwith various RPM ranges.

Dave's range of cams even confuse me more....

Please reply soon as my brother is visiting me and hopefully I can get him to buy on from USA for me.

Can someone steer me to the correct cam?

Thanks in advance

JKing
Suzuki Samurai (known as Jimny SJ413 in Asia)
K&N Air Filter, Shackle Lift, Larger Than Stock Tires, 1" Wheel Spacers, Driving & Spot Lamps, Tokico Shocks
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: cams and turbo.

i bought daves 1k to 5k cam and it seems to be a good all around cam for me

famous last words "BET YOU CAN'T DO THIS"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 11:34 AM
JKing

Hi,

Thanks for replying but I don't see any 1k to 5k cams being offered there... Am I missing something?

JKing
K&N Air Filter, Shackle Lift, Larger Than Stock Tires, 1" Wheel Spacers, Driving & Spot Lamps, Tokico Shocks
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 03:19 PM

Here is the catagories from Dave's site.

1) low-end (1000 to 4500 rpm)
2) low-end/mid range (1500 to 5500 rpm)
3) mid range (2500 to 6500 rpm)
4) full race high end (6000 rpm & up)

-Farther
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 03:58 PM

Go with the low end/mid range torquer cam from Dave at Asian Auto. Yes, with a new cam, you must replace the cam follower/rocker arms (they are made together). Dave can help you out with that as well.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 04:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I seem to remember someone saying either here or on a T-Bird BBS that changing the cam may adversly affect how the Electronic Computer Module (ECM) manages the engine. The ECM wants things one way and the new cam kinda throws a monkey wrench into what the ECM is doing.

I would imagine that this would not be a problem with an aftermarket carb installed and the ECM disabled.

Any comments from those in the know?

Ackerdackerly and

'Ol Yellow Wheels before...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 05:33 PM
Old Hand

"by putting a new cam, do I need
to also change new seats for where the cam lobe contacts the thing that lifts the valve?"

only if they are worn beyond specs. most are not......when most people install our cam or any new cam, they run their engine at between 1500 to 2000 rpms for 20 min. to break it in.

we have been playing around with what cam works best for different set-ups....and the wild thing is the best all around cam for carbed or efi Zuks is the low end cam.....it's not majic......it's simple.....it has more lift on the exhaust side and not much at all on the intake side....thus not screwing up efi....and providing more exhaust to exit......bam! more power....on the low end it has grunt....and will not float out on the high rpm side. Our low end cam is like the big V-8's RV cam.

but if you want to race, and have dual carbs, and small tires with stock gears, then a high end cam may work for you., but no one with efi that I know of has made one work yet.

on a side note.....we are working up a production EFI for all 1.3 and 1.6s that will work with any cam...this will allow those with EFI 1.6 16 valve engines to get even more boost! it will allow guys with carbed 1.3's and 1.6's to bolt on an EFI that will also work with a high lift cam.....it's sooooo cool....lol

we'll have this set-up ready for market in about 60 days or so....

Dave

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 06:14 PM

Dave: When possible, please post details about your new EFI.
Thank,

-Farther
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 06:37 PM
Old Hand

please post details about your new EFI.

it's multi port with an adjustable control module, we had to install the injectors in a modified intake manifold....

we're working to keep the cost down, by getting several made up at once....and sorry Geoff...Eric is going to test the second one for a product review...LOL

Dave

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 02:55 AM
JKing

Dave,

First of all, thanks for replying to my post. You mentioned that best all round will be the low end cam meaning the one rated between 1000 to 4500 rpm.

If I get the cam, can it see constant 4000 to 4500 rpms on freeway travel for a couple of hours?
Can it also touch 6000 or 6500?

or is it safer to get the low-mid range?

Do you have either the low cam or low-mid cam in stock?

Thanks.

JKing
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode