Toyota vs. Sidekick Power Steering ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Toyota vs. Sidekick Power Steering ??

Anyone want to share their thoughts or experiences with either? I'm running a 1.6, so, which kit has provisions for the micro "V" belt? I already have a dual crank pulley... Thanks!

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 04:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Toyota vs. Sidekick Power Steering ??

Crow, I ran both, I switched to toyota so I can run my on-board air set-up. I liked the sidekick P/S better. If I had to choose again, I would pick that one, especially since you already have the micro-V pulley. Dont get me wrong, the toyota P/S is great but you would have to find a micro pulley for it. Also, you were considering a dropped pitman arm, this will not work with these steering boxes, you will have to customize. P/S is one of the best mods you can do. Once done you will wonder how you did without it.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 10:01 AM

FWIW, I have the Toyota PS (early Petroworks kit) and I wouldn't leave home without it (I have front lockers). Because of the design, I can't run an on-board air compressor with this kit, but I think there are kits available now that will let you run on-board if you want. Also, my "system" leaks PS fluid. It's not much, but it does make a mess under the hood over time, I think of it as my anti-rust system I just top off my reservoir for each trail ride and I'm good to go.

One other thing, because of the PS fluid, my "wrag" joint came apart on the trail so carry a spare. Does anyone know if a urethane (or some other oil resistant material) wrag joint is available???

HTH,
James Hiers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 10:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

james why dont you install another universal like the 1 in the steering shaft down there????

famous last words "BET YOU CAN'T DO THIS"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Good point Zooky! I suppose I would have to consider the Calmin linkage steering as well. Hmmm...this is getting expensive...LOL!
It sounds like the Sidekick PS would be the least trouble to install for my application......

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 10:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Crow, mine has the Sidekick system and it turns the 33x12.50s quite easily. Keep in mind that I don't have a front locker though. BTW, this is with the 1.6L as well.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 08:15 AM
Cap34

I am tickled with my Tracker setup. I'm using Calmini's conversion kit, but I wish I had seen Trailtough's adapter first. With Trailtough's adapter, you can also use A/C. I'll be putting a 1600 in my hardtop next week, and I will be changing to Trailtough so I can fit the A/C in. The Calmini kit will then go in the convertible as I have another complete A/C system sitting in storage. By the way, I used your instructions to get the Weber in the other day, and I would have been in trouble without them - Thanks again!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 08:54 AM

MNRNR

rThanks for the idea for a second steering shaft universal joint. Has anyone else with Toyota power steering done this???

Later,
James Hiers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode