Welding the Diff - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 04:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Welding the Diff

Does anybody have any info on the best way to weld the differential, mine broke after a few trips. Maybe someone has a pic or two?

1986 Samurai
Locked rear
4:1 trasfer case
SPOA
Missing links
Breeze Crossover Steering
Spidertrax Panhard Rod
More mods on the way just waiting for the lottery board to call
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 01:33 AM
lilzeus

Re: Welding the Diff

Dont weld your diff.

ICQ# = 3859170
There's a new Sami website in town, and its...
http://members.home.net/micahis
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 02:40 AM

Do a search for Welded diff or lincon locker or somthing, i remember this was discussed a few times, with good info.

First, did you get it professionally welded or did you do it youself? Was it done with a arc welder or a wirefeed?
When i got mine welded, it was done by a professional. BEfore welding i obtained 4 bolts. When you take the top part of the carrier off and the top side gear (so now the spider gears are exposed) you can shove these bolts down in between the spideer gears (so the threaded part goes down first). The head (if you got the right size bolt) will fit good between 2 teeth on 2 of the spider gears, so this will jam it from moving. These are then welded to the spidergears. BTW the bolts were some grade 8 standard bolts.
He also welded in some other places, welding the spider gears to the carrier itself. And i think he welded the spiders to the little spacer in the center and the spacer to the pins. This is not nessessary. I dont like the idea of welding the pins and spacer and carrier but he did it without telling me.
You really only need to weld the spider gears with the bolts, even if the welds break it will still stay locked, my friend's broke once with the bolts and he didnt even know until he took it apart one day.

Ive had my rear diff welded for over a year now i think, and i havent had problems. Do not weld the front diff.
Make sure you clean all the grease and oil off the gears before welding, take it to a pressure washer. And you can take thoes little washers that go between the spider gears and the carrier out, there not important, incase you need them for somthing else or sotmhign.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 05:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I was thinking about welding the front of my Toyota axles! I think it is a bit different with the yota axles. You don't weld the spider gears, but the side gears. Don't know much about it, will have to do some more research on it! Everyone I've talked to said weld the front and only lock one side when out 4wheeling and when you get stuck lock in the other side? Does that sound right? Like I said, still learning about this? Might end up spending the $$$ to get a real locker?

-Brian
<font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 10:42 AM

ive had mine done for a pretty good while i welded the snoot out of mine everything and a little bit more then i filled it pulum full of alunmium and have weled it pretty darn hard and have had not the slits bit of problems O and around here there called arkansas lockers LOL!!!

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 01:49 PM

Brian, Buy a locker for the front and weld the rear. Toyota carriers only have 2 spider gears and 1 pin or somthing right? I dont like the idea of driving around with one hub locked, that puts all the stress on one axle and one side of the diff. With both sides locked steering is supposto be Awful, much worse than a normal locker in the front diff. So i wouldnt go that way if iwere you.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 05:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you will look at the top of this page, there is a "search" option. Type in lincoln locker or welded diff or just welded. There is more info there than you can shake a 7018 rod at. I had a brand new locker in the rear and pulled it out and welded mine. This is my daily driver, and with BFG M/T tread(Hi-tech retreads)it is hardly noticeable except when I go off-road then it is great. I did not like the locker manners on the street. It now resides in the front. I have strapped a couple of nice Samis up hills they couldn't climb because they were open/open.

88 Sam 4.16,welded rear,lock-rite frnt,31"Hi-tech muds on Ford truck wagon wheels, 4.5 spoa,5k quick mount Ramsey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode