Trying to post again... Suspension Setup - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Trying to post again... Suspension Setup

Well I will try it a third time. )

I want to run Spidertrax 3link Elliptical setup on the rear and then use the Spring Over in the front with Old Man Emu springs. When I spoke with the folks at Spidertrax they thought it might be a good setup in front. Anyone running the Elliptic setup from Spidertrax and how do you like it? Anything you would do different? How about the way I have it planned out for now? Anyone using this setup on their rig?

thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 09:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Trying to post again... Suspension Setup

It is very, very cool. Tons of flex. I would wait a few before you order. I have inside info that they are going to changs the design on the 1/4 rear elip. Something to do week brackets. Talk to them I sure they will send you the beefier brackets. (mounts the spring to the frame)

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 02:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing to remember on the 1/4 elliptic is that it flexes ALOT. You have to balance the front out or it will cause funky trail charateristics. For example, if you drop off a shelf with one of your front tires, you rear end will fly way up in the air. We've seen this before on the trail and it is spooky.

You'll want really good flex on the front to balance things. I'd recommend AT LEAST going SPOA with the OME and using a rear spring up front. If you want to go a bit more extreme, couple that rear spring up with a Missing Link.

For even more flex, you could use something like our rear swap kit, the Missing Links, and Jeep CJ springs on the front end. There will be a review of this setup soon at IZOOK I believe. I have a pic of this setup I can email you if you're interested. [email protected]

http:// www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Sorry if this is a repeat post. Seems most my posts dont make it to the list.

Anyway I wanted to ask a few more about the handling of Spidertrax elliptic kit both on and off road. How does the rig feel? handle? react? after the kit is installed?

I would like to stay with OME springs for the front Spring Over. I was also told it might be best not to use the missing links so I could use rear spring paks up front but instead to relocate the hangers. I was told the missing links caused the front steering to be off and to wonder a bit. So I thought about using the front OME springs instead of rear OME springs in the front. But I also wanted to convert to the VW diesel at a latter date and did not know how much more the added weight of the VW diesel would load down and compress the front springs.

I want a nice rig but I want this to be a safe rig as my wife will be driving it off and on as well as having the kids inside. I also am going to install a family rollcage tied into the frame.

thanks
Dave
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 05:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You might want to reconsider our whole suspension idea. I don't feel that the 1/4 elip. is road worthy. Have you talked to Spidertrax about it? Maybe you can spend your money better for what you want. Like maybe Wrangler springs. They will hold the load you are conserned about. They are road worthy and Flex like crazy. With the proper setup you can get 40" of flex. .02

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Using rear springs up front is very safe and handles well. The flex is surprising and the ride quality is much better than equivalent front springs. We run rears springs up front on all of our Samurais, and the rears-up-front we've been running with the 1.9TD have been holding up great.

If this is a daily driver, then you may in fact want to hold off on a dual shackle system, any dual shackle system, for the front. Unfortunately though, you may also want to reconsider the rear 1/4 elliptical as well. Its a great trail suspension and nothing beats it for flex, but its not something I'd want my family sitting in if I have to hit my brakes on the freeway at 65mph.... and not necessarily something that would be best for darting in and out of daily traffic.

http:// www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 06:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Here is a pic of my Zuk with the Rocky Road Outfitters Rear Up front kit! I've got 35" Boggers, so it does flex good even with the big tires. Great ride on road also. I'm going to get another one soon for my other project! See attachment for picture.

-Brian
<font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-516111-Aug2.jpg (79.1 KB, 2 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 07:28 PM

Hey Brian: How about another picture only with your wife in it instead of you.

-Farther
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 09:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Well, I do have lots of pic's of her in the Zuk. But, I can't find them right now. This should do for now. It is a pic of her on my sportbike. This was taken about 3wheeks ago when I was in Ohio. enjoy.

-Brian
<font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-516228-019.JPG (26.2 KB, 2 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 01:29 AM
lilzeus

I have the Spidertrax 1/4 eliptic on my rig. I love it. I run Wrangler springs up front moved inward under the frame and TeraFlex Revolver shackles. So far so good! I have had extensive talks with Tom and Eddie about the suspension. Dont worry about weak brackets any more, myself and a couple other guys have trail tested all the weak spots out of the suspension and Spidertrax has taken care of us all by sending new parts free of charge. The suspension you would order today would ALREADY have beefed up parts, so not to worry! As far as people saying that they dont like 1/4 eliptics ON the road, I have NO idea what they are talking about! My suspension is 20 times better now with the 1/4 eliptic and Wranglers than it has ever been when spring over with Sami springs. I also ran a shackle reversal up front for a while. The Spidertrax kit is made to fit Rancho RS9000 9012 shocks (the longest they make) which are adjustable. You can custom make your driving characteristics with these shocks. Soft and
sway-ing to tight like stock. Probably the biggest improvement in on-road driving characteristics was the Pan Hard bar kit!!!!! Holy freakin [email protected]#!!!! I was in denial of how much it changed how my Sami handles, its a freakin sports car now!!! You have no idea! You should atleast check out the article that was done here at Off-road.com!! My steering is tighter than a stock Sami, I have compared them side to side!

Bottom line, your in good hands with Spidertrax and the 1/4 eliptic. Tom and Eddie will NOT send you down the wrong path. Dont buy into people saying that its 'scary' on-road because its not! My rig handles, rides, and drives better than all my buddy's with various suspensions and better than it ever has with a SpOA. Tom and Eddie told me about Moab and how people wanted to ride in their 1/4 eliptic rigs to see how they handled on road. To say the least, they were even MORE impressed with its ON-road characteristics. If you have ANY questions reguarding their kit, feel free to dialog with me via email.

ICQ# = 3859170
There's a new Sami website in town, and its...
http://members.home.net/micahis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode