Suzuki and Rocky Road commentary - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 03:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Suzuki and Rocky Road commentary

Having been into this "sport" for a few years I am very new to Samurai's. I've mildly built a Bronco a Scout and a CJ. And have just started to work on my Samurai and after being helped out by RRO this week I'm looking forward to it. I have dealt with many retailers and and one in peticular quite often (I'm not here to bash but lets just say they sell 4wheelparts) and when I started building my Samurai,they knew and stocked almost nothing for it (some even questioned me for wanting to do it). Very frustrating.
So there I was this week, my gf and I were headed up to the Yeewintuhs(Uintas, one of Yeewtaaws(Utah's) more scenic mountain ranges,thats how they say it here) . It feels weird saying this but "As luck would have it" I blew an axle bearing out only 20 miles from Rocky Road Outfitters. I could tell they were very busy there, but the staff there was still amazingly helpful. Glen(I think that was his name) on the phone took time to tell me options of what I could try in the town I was in, I tried those and I came up with I could pay $150+ for a tow home or sleep in my car and wait for parts. I called RRO again, he said he might be able to help me. So I creeped there. Those guys there kicked-ass. They lent me tools, gave me knowledge, and the used spare parts to get me home. Lets face it, retailers are out there to make money. RRO could have charged what they wanted, but it felt like they just were happy to help, not just to make a buck. What a breathe of fresh air.
Are all Suzuki guys this way?
Reminds me of being broken-down with my VW bus back in High School, when other VW's would stop to offer help.
Jeeps in Utah are very common and we dont wave to each other, but when I drive my samurai, amost every other Samurai I see waves at me so I wave back. Its kinda cool. Also I've noticed that I love the looks of guys in these big chromed trucks and new SUV's the bottoms of the of trails that cant do what I can in my Samurai. Dollar for dollar, my Samurai is the most fun I've had in any vehicle I've ever bought( I just bought a used highly modified Honda 400EX for about 5 Grand , I have less than that into my '91 Samurai that is locked-lifted-geared, and a complete running '87 an almost complete '87 parts car all put together).
Well anyway, Thanks to Glen and the staff at Rocky Road Outfitters and Suzuki for making this fun little car, Its made me look forward to the fun I will have with my new toys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 04:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Suzuki and Rocky Road commentary

Welcome to the world of Suzuki owners. I have yet to meet a rude Suzuki owner who doesn't give a hoot about another... unlike some types. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Neal the Zukiguy

88.5 Weber carb, header, 4.16 t-case, 31x10.5 M/T's, 2" s/r, 2 1/2" bod lift, front tube, Swift seats, on-board air
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 05:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Glad to hear about your good experience. It seems most Samurai aftermarket vendors are friendly and helpful if they aren't too swamped at the moment and actually have the time to help you. My one personal experience was at Petroworks a couple years ago. I was vacationing near there so I decided to drive out and buy some parts. It was an extremely busy place and everyone was either constantly on the phone or running around in a frenzy. But they still took the time "in between" to chat and give advice, and even show me around the shop.

Glenn @ RRO has gotten a bad rap for various things but those who have met him always say he is a great guy who is very helpful and lives and breathes Samurai. I look forward to actually meeting him one day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 05:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Glenn has given me advice many times here. Steve and the others at Calmini will talk your ear off too. It's a great community to be a part of.

Neal the Zukiguy

88.5 Weber carb, header, 4.16 t-case, 31x10.5 M/T's, 2" s/r, 2 1/2" bod lift, front tube, Swift seats, on-board air
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 06:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We were kind of chuckling about how, in a somewhat 'unlucky' way, you actually ended up being pretty lucky.

I'd never seen an axle bearing blow apart like that before though. Good thing you didn't get up into the mountains before it went.

Anyway, I was glad we had a spare axle to give to you.

http:// www.rocky-road.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 09:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

Back a year ago when I bought my first Samurai I had made the same analogy that the Suzuki community is pretty close to the same as the VW community. I had a guy once pull over and give me his spare tire when I use to drive my 66 Beetle as a daily driver. Only to later did I find out that there are a lot of VW guy's who drive Samurais - this BBS is riddled with them! The only big difference I see between the two vehicles is that us VW guy's have the 'PUNCH BUGGY' game!

ůmaybe we could start a trend of giving people noogies while calling out "ROCK BUGGY!" Think it will catch on?!?!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 10:13 PM

I used to have a '67 Baja, '61 Cal bug and a '65 Ghia. Wrenched on those little German cars for 15 years before I got the Zuk. I think the Samurai is the VW of the 4X4 world. Easy to work on, reliable ,and underestimated!

88 Zuk
locked and loaded
http://www.zukin.homestead.com/main.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 10:37 PM

I had a 67 bug and a 71 squareback. Unfortunately that bug ended up being a total POS. It was just worn out when I got it. I did learn alot about cars on it though.

I'd still like to get another one some day. It would have to be an early model vert though. Or a notch would work also.

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 11:31 PM
Can't Get Enough

All I have now is my Meyers Manx buggy. I just sold my chopped 67 drag car. By the way, the car sitting next to it is a real 52 split window that was chopped back in the 70's.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 11:46 PM
Old Hand

Glenn is a real great guy....and even more fun when his Zuk is running.....I have been looking fwd to wheeling with him for over a year...last year at SOR...his truck was broke...this year at Moab...his truck was boke again....this year..yeeehaw...we followed him and Brent down Big Sluice to Buck Island and back...they are all good guys!

"The only big difference I see between the two vehicles is that us VW guy's have the 'PUNCH BUGGY' game!"

we called that "Slug Bug".....now we have been playing that game with Zuks too..we call it "Chop Samurai"...one for a soft top and two for a hard top..lol

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode