Are you happy w/ your 1.3? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Are you happy w/ your 1.3?

I have had the thought before that it might be cool to rebuild my 1.3 hardcore instead of going with a complete
engine swap. New cam, bored over, carb, efi, header, shaved head, the works. What do you think? Money wise, power wise. I thought it may be easy to pick up peoples used stuff as they go bigger.

88 hardtop, custom SPOA, 31's, Calmini T-Case(comming soon)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Are you happy w/ your 1.3?

I wasn't happy, till I got the right gears to go with the big tires I have. Now, plenty of power on the highway (got up to 75MPH on flat this weekend, no tailwind), should be good off-road now that I have the carb tuned.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 11:13 AM
Old Hand

After headers, 2" exhaust, no converter & stock carb no problems. Goes as fast as I would ever want my 4wd oversized off road golf cart to go.... What else could you ever need....???

Early 87 Zuk, Calmini headers, 2" Calmini reverse lift, Calmini 2" Exhaust system, Kayline Full Doors,Steel Horse Seats, 30x9.5 Roadmaster rubber, Doetsh shocks & stabilizer, soon a Pony & GRS-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Depends on what you intend to do. I was happy with my 1.3 and its beefed up condition. I had the Calmmini cam, Weber carb, Splitfire plugs and wires, header, exhaust wide open. Nice gains in HP. No matter what you do to that engine, yer not getting more than 55 ft lbs of torque out of it. So I grew tired of having to gun it at 3500 rpms to get up over an obstacle. Bouncing my way to the top of a rocky hill was starting to take its toll on the vehicle and me! I have snapped one crankshaft and sheered three pistons on 4 different hard bounces. No amount of HP gains will allow the 1.3 to idle over rocks, yer gonna have to gun that engine and gun it hard.

70 mph at 4100 rpms was killing the lifespan on my daily driver. The 1.3 was not engineered to be driven at 4k rpms for sustained lengths of time. As a result, it suffers under normal US driving conditions. Keep it at 55 mph, don't take it off-road, keep fluids topped and changed regularly, and it will last forever.

You can do alot to "stud up" the 1.3 and the 1.6, but you cannot really do much about its durability. It's a high rpm motor engineered for low speed, low mileage use. If the piston rods don't snap, the block will wear on you from the high rpm usage.
Is this to say I won't own another Zook with a 1.3? Absolutely I will. But for now, I'm swapping out for a V6, because I want to do things the 1.3 just cannot do for me now. It's all about what you want to do. It's a good engine for some applications.

Neal the Zukiguy

88.5 Weber carb, header, 4.16 t-case, 31x10.5 M/T's, 2" s/r, 2 1/2" bod lift, front tube, Swift seats, on-board air
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 11:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Yes I am happy with mine after the rebuild and the new gearing (33's 4.16 t-case and 4.62's) Highway is not great
but frankly with 33" mud tires it is going to be noisy as hell no matter what. Lord knows I have more than enough power offroad rockcrawling to break most of the driveline.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 12:27 PM
mike shannon

i still have my first zuk i traded a tractor for' it from the original owner. it had 90k on it and was real slow after 10k miles i relized that the secondary on the carb was not opening and my cat was stopped up. well i have 117k on it now and it runs better than ever. and as far as gunning it to get up stuff, i don't think so. i can climb up the side of a building with out getting it over 1500 rpm. you just have to gear for it. i can run 75 to 80 on flat ground anyday. is the motor winding? you bet but it seems to like it better. i am running a 4.16 t case and a set of 5.13s in the axles. with a set of 33x12.5s pro comps. it helps if you keep the tires at 30 psi. and i drive it to work all the time 43 miles each way. so there is my 2 cents. it not a bad rig, its just that every one wants more. later mike

zuks and toys
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 12:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I only speak from my experience on wearing out blocks with rpms mileage. It's easier to torque over an obstacle with coils than to gear over it with rpms, and a bit cheaper on the wallet. Thats my theory from watching the stock TJ's do their thing. Another plus, I can run an air conditioner on the V6. I haven't had an AC on the 1.3 in 5 years. When I parked my wounded Zuki that afternoon at Barnwell and hopped into my buddys' TJ, with the top off he had the AC going full blast. It was a definite plus.

But I WILL get me another Zook, and build up the 1.3 in it again. Believe that. There is something to be said for banging your way up that rocky hill. But for now, I want to do some other things. It will still be a Zuki frame, body, and t-case, so I can still come to Zook events, right? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Neal the Zukiguy

88.5 Weber carb, header, 4.16 t-case, 31x10.5 M/T's, 2" s/r, 2 1/2" bod lift, front tube, Swift seats, on-board air
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 12:51 PM
mike shannon

well if you saw that zuk crawl up dewoody you would be getting some gears. i can crawl over about anything with out beating it to death. just go for a ride with one set up with a low tcase and some axle gears and you will be impressed. i can pull my front wheels about 8 in. off the ground from a dead stop in 2low. thats pretty good for a motor with 117k on it. its all in gearing mike

zuks and toys
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 02:56 PM

62hp + Grs1 + 5.43r&p = Crawls all over anything. 123,000 miles and I have no complaints.

Marc Haught
[email protected]
www.serioussami.rockcrawler.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 03:00 PM
mike shannon

hey neil my zuk is here in arlington stop by and i will let you give it a try. mike

zuks and toys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode