sidekick power steering/anygood? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 06:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sidekick power steering/anygood?

Do any of you run the Trail Tough power steering kit, its the sidekick system. Just wanting to know if its anygood or not ( sounds nice )
What would be my other steering options ( anything cheaper )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 06:22 PM

Re: sidekick power steering/anygood?

Your other option would be the Toyota system several venders sell. Cheaper would depend on what you can get used pumps and
boxes for.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 07:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have run both the tracker and toyota (currently toyota) PS set-ups and I personally liked the tracker set-up better (I know many will disagree). It ran WAY cooler and seemed to turn the tires easier but thats just my opinion. Most will swear by the toyota. They both get the job done, just matters which set-up you can get for a better price, toyota seems to be more affordable. I think my friend has that install kit and he is happy with it and it is a reasonable price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 07:32 PM

Running Brents Sidekick power steering setup with 33'-12.50's and it does great.

87 Samurai- 5.12's locked up,4340 front,hybrid rear,4.16's,P/S.,Toy. carb.,DT header, 33's, 2" exhaust and Durabak inside and out.
92 Samurai- Its next!!!

Zookin- a family affair
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 08:04 PM

There are pros/cons for both that I have heard feedback on. The Toyota tends to puke fluid out the resivoir, and they have a tendency to blow one of the check valves allowing it to turn only one way when it happens. You also have problems with matching up steering systems. The Sidekick kit can sometimes benefit from a stronger spring on the bypass valve to give increased turning potential. Samurai drop pitman arms won't fit on the kick/tracker box, but the tie rod ends from all the Samurai steering systems mate up. Just depends on which you can get the used parts at the best price I gues.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 08:12 PM
Pooh-Bah

I have brents kit, and the pump works well .. one thing I would, and am going to do is to def reinforce the entire tie rod .. I bowed out my tie rod from turning the steering wheel with 1 wheel stuck in a hard place, ask John "Suzuski" he saw it ;-)

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 08:48 PM

I run a Calmini sidekick power steering setup and have for over three years and no complaints. I runn 33s on 15X10 steel wheels and yes I rockcrawl with it and have never experienced any of the problems that Wakefield claims they have. I think someone quoted that the Toyota setup was cheaper. I don't think so. I got all my components for the same price as the toyota ps kit.

Marc Haught
[email protected]
www.serioussami.rockcrawler.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 08:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mine has the Sidekick system and I think it works great turning my 33x12.50x15s. Don't know how it would work with a front locker in though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode