All you BEEFY Samurai gurus... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 04:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All you BEEFY Samurai gurus...

... let me pick yer brains here:

Here is the vehicle:
Samurai body/frame, 54" Dana 44's, 33x12.50 TSL's, 2.8 V6 with c4 tranny, TJ inspired coil over suspension with rancho 9000 adjustable shocks (much like Schaffers kit)

Here is the question:
Would the axles and tires, working with the ranchos, out weight the engine and body enough to qualify the following statement? ---- "This vehicle will be relatively difficult to roll on road due to its low center of gravity."

Neal the Zukiguy

88.5 Weber carb, header, 4.16 t-case, 31x10.5 M/T's, 2" s/r, 2 1/2" bod lift, front tube, Swift seats, on-board air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 06:28 PM

Re: All you BEEFY Samurai gurus...

relative to what?

-Farther
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 06:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

dude, that depends on the driver. a pinto that has been lowered 4 inches can be flipped. well, errr, not that i know from first hand experience, but anyways, anything can be done. tooo many idiots out in the world. if you dont stay in the limits of a vehicle, you WILL end up fubar. rekon im just lucky to date huh???[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 06:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Relative to a the average Samurai set up. This is a Suzuki forum ya know. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ofcourse the driver is a difference, but there is a technical starting point I am trying to address.

A 54" long axle with a 32" tall by 13" wide tire. That gives a sidewall to sidewall length of roughly 58" actually touching the ground. That puts the axles roughly 12" off the ground? As I understand, the 2.8 sits low in the engine bay. The specific engine center of gravity is about 16" above the axles?

I am gaining more width than heighth, and adding a great more wieght under the frame than I am above the frame withthe Danas and tires.

Neal the Zukiguy

88.5 Weber carb, header, 4.16 t-case, 31x10.5 M/T's, 2" s/r, 2 1/2" bod lift, front tube, Swift seats, on-board air
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 07:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i know man, was pullin your leg. honestly, dont know how it would fair out though. you makin it taller, but wider too. plus a bigger motor, just cant say personally how it would fair as compared to say a stocker. build it n see. also talk to others who have similar set ups. i just cant say honestly. im stock axled in my P.O.S......[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
BiLLy bOb

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 07:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey ZukiGuy,
I know a guy in alabama who has a very, very simular set up. It was great on the trail. It had tons of flex due to the missing links and the much larger axel. Although I felt like the Boggers were a bit unstable for it on the wet trails of NC. I would also be tempted to say that if you went as far as you are wanting to go , it might be better to get a different vehicel. Like a Jeep, or Bronco. They come factory equiped with most of what you want to do.

Jason

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 08:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yes and no. Yes, it will be a bit harder to flip on the road but like BB said, it all depends on the driver. The wide dana 44's will be heavy, its kinda like my set-up that I'm building now! Little bit wider and heaver Toyota axles, 4.3L engine, auto trans, 16x35" Boggers on 10" steel rims. All my weight is on the ground. But, when your turning hard on the road, your (vehicle) body leans a bit, witch will cause lots of weight to shift to one side. This happens to any car, truck or van. I see what your trying to say, but you can flip any vehicle!

-Brian
<font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 08:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I'm keeping my 90% stock Zuki body. When I finish this, I will buy the Bronco or Scout I want to build up and go hog wild with that.

As for hard turning on road, I'm pretty conscious of that as it is with my limited existing setup. In that respect, I'm wondering how well the Rancho 9000's come in to play. Is there a better adjustable shock? I'm doing all this, but still plan on driving this rig on road quite a bit.

Neal the Zukiguy

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 09:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

snip
******I'm wondering how well the Rancho 9000's come in to play. *****
===========================
dude, rancho 9000s are the way to go on a double duty driver. you can see pics of my rig in other posts. i run mine on road at outragous speeds accordin to some folks, crank 9000s up on 5 (stiff) and put the hammer down. steady as a 2x8 on concrete.
BiLLy bOb

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are those the very same Ranchos that helped put you nose down, ass straight up in the air in that one pic from ZukiMelt? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Excellent, you told me what I wanted to hear. Now I just have to do the math (i hate math) and figure out the correct gearing ratio so I can run 33's with the GRSII and the 2.8 v6/c4 tranny combo to make it a good crawler/bogger/street driver. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Neal the Zukiguy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode