Blew a beefed birfield... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Blew a beefed birfield...

I was out wheelin' at my Dad's, and I had the suspension twisted up real good in this gully. As a result of this my left-front tire was stuffed up in my wheel well, and the lugs on my 33's were catchin' on the body pretty bad when...BANG! And I was suddenly a 3WD vehicle.

After that loud snapping sound, I figured I snapped my axle shaft, but ripping it down has shown that I blew out the birfield joint. This is rather dissappointing as I just installed some Breeze Ind. birfield rings no more than a month ago! Inspecting the joint shows fractures on the inner edge of the joint, not on the outer area where the ring sits. As you look at the joint, you can see the bearings out of those holes? Well, that's where the cracks are. Damn.

Well, this means more mods to keep history from repeating itself. I'm choppin' the tar outta my fenders and sliding my axle forward as much as I can. While I'm at it, I'll extend my frame and throw in some YJ springs (if I can just find a set!). I just bought a whole front clip from billtooley, and I will do the fender mods to it and install it on the zook when I'm done...I'll document the whole thing if anyone's interested...

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, Cal 4.16 t-case, Lkd Frt, welded rear, 8-point Roll Cage, etc, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 11:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Blew a beefed birfield...

Birfields, grrrrrr.....

Neal the Zukiguy

88.5 Weber carb, header, 4.16 t-case, 31x10.5 M/T's, 2" s/r, 2 1/2" bod lift, front tube, Swift seats, on-board air
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 11:05 AM
WSB

I would think that the birfield rings just buy you some time before the birfield
wears out and gernades on the trail. Just my $.02

Wayne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 11:56 AM
mike shannon

just remember that the sawsall is you friend. i have had mine bind up pretty good when it was really stuffed,got scared and backed out. might have saved some money. but now i have to buy another set of 5.29s for the land cruiser. damn you missed a heck of a good weekend. hey call me on the shafts[817-819-0268]mike

zuks and toys
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Hey, I just got back from an off-road shop. They quoted me $60 to take the ring off of my old birfield and press it on the new. 60 freakin' bucks! I told them that was a bit steep and I would do it myself in less than ten minutes if I only had access to a press. So I left and bought me a little 1-ton press. It's perfect for my needs and I can use it all over that zook. It only cost $37, just over half the quoted 60 (punks!). The draw back tho is that I won't have an excuse to drive out to BFE to see my buddy Mike Shannon. SO, you're gonna have to come over to my place! Whatcha doin' Sunday?

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, Cal 4.16 t-case, Lkd Frt, welded rear, 8-point Roll Cage, etc, etc.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 02:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey P,
Also sent ya this over the topica list...

> ...my left-front tire was stuffed up in my wheel well, and the lugs on my 33's were catchin' on the body pretty bad when...BANG! And I was suddenly a 3WD vehicle.

Tires into the body is a very common way to break the birfields...

> After that loud snapping sound, I figured I snapped my axle shaft, but ripping it down has shown that I blew out the birfield joint. This is rather dissappointing as I just installed some Breeze Ind. birfield rings no more than a month ago! Inspecting the joint shows fractures on the inner edge of the joint, not on the outer area where the ring sits. As you look at the joint, you can see the bearings out of those holes? Well, that's where the cracks are. Damn.

This is also becoming common with rigs that are running "rings" of any brand, and not exclusivley caused by tire into body. I run "rings" and broke the guts out of one at the zukimelt, I was only running 32" tires. I know
of at least 2 others that were there that did the same thing. One of those was even a Trail Tough, double tough birfield that spun the splines out of the inside of the birfield. I also spoke to a few other folks that have had
the same failure...

Time to go back to smaller tires or bigger axles....

L8ter...
Dana
Marion, Iowa
ZUKon!

http://www.stomperzuk.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 02:43 PM
mike shannon

i think skeetshooter and i will be pulling a 1.6 16v out of a tracker i have and drink a couple two many beers. plus we have to start cutting up the hard top to build jai birds new 110 in wheel base zuk p.u. later mike

zuks and toys
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 03:46 PM

I was talking to Spidertrax about a week ago and they said they are thinking about some kind of "birfield eliminator" kit. Maybe something like D44 ends on the Zuk axle????

Just thought you would like to know,
Later,
James Hiers

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

I would like to know about a birfield eliminator. But I wonder about the cost. If it's too expensive, then I would rather just bite the bullet and upgrade to dana 44's...For around $250 you can get a lot more for the buck...

Pillard
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 04:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yup yup, I figgered for the trouble, I'll find someone with a parting ScouttII and grab me some 44's. I like the idea of being able to fall off a 700' drop and at least having the axles survive. The wider footing will be nicer too.

Neal the Zukiguy

88.5 Weber carb, header, 4.16 t-case, 31x10.5 M/T's, 2" s/r, 2 1/2" bod lift, front tube, Swift seats, on-board air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode