Sidekick 5.12 R&P or 5.38 R&P - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sidekick 5.12 R&P or 5.38 R&P

I have a GRS 1 TC and want to upgrade my R&P gears . I was thinking about going with the Trail tough Hybrid axle w/gears ( 5.12 ) But I was also thinking about going with 5.38 gears . Please let me know what you guys think , and let me know where to buy the 5.38's if I end up doing them. Thank You
Also what would my Crawl ratio be with the 5.38's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 03:52 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Sidekick 5.12 R&P or 5.38 R&P

I have heard that the set-up on the 5.38's has to be very precise and if not done properly the gears will break easily. If you have experience with setting up ring and pinions go with the 5.38's, if not, go with the hybrid. If I didn't already have both of my locker, ring and pinions , I would have gone the hybrid route.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 05:12 PM
4xRonin

What size tire are you running?

Scott Whitmore
"It's not that it's able to do the job. It's that it does the job so well"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 05:19 PM

There is nothing wrong with the 5.38's as long as the set up follows the factory specificationsn for the carrier bearing preload, pinion bearing preload, rolling torque, and back lash. These are all things that should be followed on any R&P set up regardless of the ratio. If the side carrier bearing preload is loose, the 5.38's create enough torque to actually compress the bearing (the amount that should have been taken up by the preload) and move sideways puting the ring gear teeth right out on the end of the pinion teeth. Instant junk not covered by warranty from the manufacturer. The point is, if you are unsure of your ability to set up any R&P, you need to have it done by someone that you feel confident with their skill. If you go with the hybrid, you will still need to have the front R&P set up by someone. DO NOT use the aluminum carrier housing as it will fracture and ruin your R&P, and likely your axles. The aluminum carrier was designed for yuppie 4x4 travel on nothing tougher than rain and snow covered highways, and maybe the beach. They will not last banging them on rocks, and will split open like a melon! We sell the Yukons sets for $185 per R&P, and the install kits are $22 for the mini, and $92 for the master.

HTH

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 07:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

HEY TIM, you didnt enclose a pic of mine from melt man!!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 07:57 PM
Pooh-Bah

The aluminum carrier was designed for yuppie 4x4 travel on nothing tougher than rain and snow covered highways, and maybe the beach

Thats if its taken out of the vehicle it was designed for and losses its proper suporting and mounts .. or are you saying a tracker or kick is nothing more then a Yuppie Mobile??

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 09:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Personally I prefer the larger and much heavier duty Tracker HYBRID Rear-End that Trail Tough makes. The ring gear is almost the same size as what's in a Toyota. There is also something to be said for gears that are factory installed. I have never seen a Tracker rear-end go bad or break even under a friend's Zuk with a 4.3 V6 in it. I run the hybrid myself and I'll swear by them! A for the aluminum Tracker 5.12 housing, itis fine unless you do serious rockcrawling or want to put a locker in it. They only have two sidegears instead of 4 and no one makes a locker for them so you'd need to use the Samurai housing and still get the gears setup in the front. Also when I had the hybrid done Brent @ Trail Tough installed the locker for free.

1991 Zuk on 33X15.50 TSL SX's, 5.12's, hybrid rear, LOCKED, hybrid Zuk rear springs in front w/M-Links, CJ's in rear. RIDES like a Japanese Cadillac!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-513233-melt10.JPG (15.9 KB, 4 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 11:05 PM

No, I am not saying it is a Yuppie Mobile, I will own one very soon. Suzuki and GM are the ones who designed it with that type of four wheeling in their mind, hence the cheap carrier in the front as they never expected them to be used for anything else. It is us and the aftermarket that is proving how great of a vehicle they are and can be. In a Samurai, that pumpkin is far more exposed and prone to damage, why risk it with a piece of aluminum that obviously was never intended to stand up to the abuse we give our vehicles.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 07:47 AM

I can attest the to the weakness of the tracker front diff housing, mine currently has a crack about 2/3's of the way around! I wasnt ever doing anything crazy either just a small gravel hill, well so maybe the front tire was a bit airborne but I don't think it should have split open like that!

93 Tracker, ProComp, Calmini, 31's, Thorley, K&N, etc..., aka the donor. Looking for a donee..
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 07:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue> I run the yukon 5.38's, uh, well, I was until Rockgarden at Tellico. I am still trying to get a hold of Tim to talk about the warranty. I had them set up at a local 4x4 shop here and the ring gear still shattered. I have probably 6 chipped teeth and 6 or 8 teeth in a row that are completely missing. I couldn't go all the way to tellico and wheel for only one day so I went to a local junk yard, picked up a front and rear chunk and finished the week with stock 3.73's. I could have bought a zuk for as much as I spent on the 3rd members. Anyways, I will talk to Tim and I might be going to 4.56 gears or somewhere else if yukon doesn't cover their warranty.

Wes.</font color=blue>

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...?u=1596164&f=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode