BDS vs OME Springs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

BDS vs OME Springs

In order for me to get OME springs in my area I have to mail order. But one of the local 4x4 shops said they sale BDS springs and suggested them over the OME. One of the owners owns a Samurai and they have built others. Their shop is mainly Jeep. So what says the list? Will I be as happy with a set of BDS over the OME?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 04:37 PM
4xRonin

Re: BDS vs OME Springs

The reputations of the two springs are completely different (please keep in mind I have no experience with either spring). The BDS has a stiff rep while the OME enjoys a very comfortable rep. Of course the jeep shop will recomend the BDS as that is what they sell. I'm pretty sure the OME and BDS are different in their amount of lift too. While more costly, the OME enjoys the best of reputations.

Scott Whitmore
"It's not that it's able to do the job. It's that it does the job so well"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 04:46 PM

while ive never had experience with OME springs, ive heard nothing but great things about them...

i saw 2 different zooks on BDS springs this weekend twist those suckers into pretzels at barnwell... no body with stock springs or any other aftermarket springs had any problems that i know of...

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 04:48 PM

I had a set of OME springs once on my Samurai & I can say with confidence that they were the finest springs I have ever seen. They had a lot of extra work put into them & you could really tell the difference, as I was driving my Sam every day back then. I would probably still have them today, but I went SPOA and with the lifted springs it would have been too tall.

I would put some thought into the Wrangler springs in a spring-under-axle configuration, also.

No experience with BDS springs.

HTH,

OILBURNER [email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 04:50 PM
Skip

I've had the 2.5" OME's for over 4 years and am very pleased with their smooth ride and no noticable sag. I have had no problems with them and they claim a life time warranty. I have no knowledge of the BDS springs

Skip
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 04:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dave,
If I had it to do over again and in different circumstances I would have gone with the OME. If you do go with the BDS system call Tim at NCO first and get his price. Buy the softest shocks that you can get!! Or you will be very sorry with the springs. We broke a spring and needed something fast. The BDS is a very cheap way to get lift,if you don't want to go spoa. But like I said get a very soft shock because you have to iincrease the spring rate any time you have an arched spring.If you have anymore questions feel free to ask that's what we're here for.
ROB

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 05:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OME Springs are better

I have OME springs and I am happy with them. They have held up to all the abuse I throw at them. Buck twisted his BDS up and this was his first trail ride. Save yourself a lot of trouble and go with the OME springs.

N/A
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast

I'm with Skip, I've got nothing but good things to say about the OME springs (I run them on my LWB SJ-413 - been about 4 years as well). Excellent ride, super flexible.

I've haven't heard anything good about the BDS Samurai springs. Either too hard or their new softer springs wrap/bent too easy. BDS springs weren't available when I bought mine.

HTH

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 06:41 PM

A 4" arch spring does require a higher spring rate to maintain the arch vs a 2.5" spring, making them stiffer. The BDS as mentioned earlier is a low priced 4" of lift. However, if they cause problems, low cost means nothing. I am very curious as to the people who had problems, and I want to hear what was done to fix it. They have a lifetime no questions asked warranty, but no one wants to use a warranty. Please, those who had problems, fill me in with what happened and what help or remedy was employed by the factory or the vendor who sold the springs. If any of these people were my customers, I expect a call. If this turns out to be a problem with them, we will drop them, but I must have feedback from the consumers.

Thanks,

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 06:50 PM

hey Tim, I saw the guy when he flatten his BDS springs out at Barnwell this weekend. I actually think he had problems before that. It was a built Sami with Yota axles and had never been offroad before. Before we started I noticed that the springs were sagging. We did one loose hill and when he excellerated they just went flat. I don remember if he had a traction bar. Another guy flatten his Samurai springs right after that but he was only running two leaves. I just think if he would have had a traction device running those 35" boggers he would have not had that problem.

Marc Haught
[email protected]
www.serioussami.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode