Shakedown Cruise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 09:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shakedown Cruise

It's ALIVE!!!

Had a great time wheeling this weekend, despite several problems. Went to the Indiana Four Wheel Drive Associations 7th Annual Weekend campout and trail ride. This event is held on the same trails used for the Jeep Jamborees.

It was my shakedown cruise for my 88.5 Sammy. Just got finished on Thursday with the following, 4.88 R&P, rear locker, extended brake lines, weber carb, new bumpers, 33x10.5 Super Swampers, Centerforce clutch, OD green paint (1/2 done, still need to fix rear fenderwells.)

So after working (and sweating heavily) all last week to get the DB (D*!n Beast) up and running, we found that we had lost the registration and tag sticker. So after nearly going postal at one BMV (waited an hour and half for them to tell me they didn't have the form I needed), and finally getting my registration at another BMV, we got under way.

1st thing I notice going down the highway is that the battery light is now on constantly. When I stop it also has a tendency to stall. We (my wife in our Cherokee pulling our popup) stop at a gas station for a break and the DB wont start. We manuver the Cherokee to give it a jump start and no luck. Carefully looking over the engine compartment I finally notice the battery wire to the starter flapping in the wind. I thought I tightened that enough... Zip tied the cable to the starter and we are under way. A little later I stop at a Lowes and buy a lock nut for it.

2nd problem - it is having a tendency to stall and having a hard time starting. This happens several times during the trip down there.

3rd problem - So we finally arrive, get the campground setup and throw some JTM's on the grill for our group. I stay in camp instead of going on the trail so I can check the Sammy over and prepare it for the trails. Next morning we line up, get organized and head out for the trails. It dies, start it up, move along, it dies, dead battery, I jump it from one of those neat little boxes, move along, it dies, jump start it, and let the tail gunner know I'm going back to camp. This was getting old real fast and I didn't want to slow the group down. After checking to make sure all the connections were connected and tight, I figure it must be a dead alternator. Let me tell you there are 7 parts stores between Paoli and Bedford. The Autozone in Bedford has a replacement (which will be under warranty when I find my receipt) and we scurry back to camp. While I'm replacing the alternator the front bolt snaps right off. GRRRR!!!! So I put the alternator on with only the rear bolt and upper bolt. Fires right up and no battery light.

4th problem - DB doesn't want to stay started, keeps stalling out, doesn't idle very well. I futz around with the settings till it's a little better. One thing that made the most improvement was removing the line from the carb breather to the evap canister.

5th problem - when it does stall out it is not always starting right up. Eventually figure out this must be due to heat. So now the hood is up every time we stop.

6th problem - I my shoulder keeps hitting the door when we get to bouncing around. That door sure is hard. Will have to figure out how to pad it.

Other than that I like the way the Sammy is setup. Suspension could be a little less stiff (using the 3" trailmaster springs Calmini boomerang shackle in rear.) Other than the stalling and idle it did fine.

So now I'll be fine tuning the setup and working out the gremlin's. Will be looking to take her up to Attica in the near future if anyone is interested in going.

And again, thanks to Ranger Rick for stopping to help a fellow Zuki-nut out on the side of the road.

Later...
Keith

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 10:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Shakedown Cruise

hey man, sorry to hear about your probs with zuk. best thing to do is get a HUGE bag of tools n start killin dem lil gremlins. hate em.
good luck on it.
agreed man, Ranger Rick is one GREAT guy......
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 09:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Worked through tuning up the engine and carb yesterday. Was able to finally get the idle steady at 900-1000 RPM. On the road performance was snappy, and was able to crawl around the yard in 2low without any bucking or hesitation.

Main problems with the carb were the float setting, both the high and low setting were wrong. Followed the directions here (http://www.racetep.com/weberadj.html) to do the tuning.

One problem down, how many to go?

Later...
Keith

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 09:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing we've done in the past with stiff Trailmaster springs is to pull out the bottom leaf. It will make a difference. Several years from now when they break-in, you can put that leaf back in to help freshen up the springpack.

Pulling the leaf out helped with flex on the rig we tinkered with too.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 09:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hi Keith,I am glad you got home ok.Tell your wife I am sorry that I did not go back and introduce myself.A group is going to Haspin acres over Labor Day weekend if you guys would like to go.If I can be of help fixing your zuke ,feel free to get ahold of me[[email protected]].I have a small weld shop and lots of tools.It was nice to have met you,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 10:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

SNIP
*I have a small weld shop and lots of tools.*
========================
well, thats a understatement rick. porter will tell ya, tween all the stuff i got here, got plenty go start a junkyard, tow trucks, drive on car hauler, everything. but you got me beat 100 to 1 on the tools. ****SMALL**** who ya tryin to kid man???? hahahahahahahaha
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 08:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

BB,its all in the eyes of the beholder,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode