Movin On Up - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Movin On Up

I just agreed to an online deal for a T-case with the Calmini Rockcrawler kit in it. It is coming to me (in Cincinnati) from a guy in New Mexico. I have bought things online before from ebay or from a company, God knows owning a Sami and not being located in the west you have to, but I have never purchased anything from an individual. Do any of you have tips for exchanging money and goods from an online deal w/ someone you don't know? Should I send half the money in a money order, get the goods, and then send the other half in another money order or something? Just thought I would ask there seems to be a lot of people on our board here, someone must have done this before. Let me know thanks.

88 hardtop, custom SPOA, 31's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 09:56 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Movin On Up

First, get the guys phone number and give him a call, that'll verify that he HAS a phone AND it's a valid number. If he refuses, be wary of him.

Next, ask for his actual address, in addition to his physical address. Look him up on the web, and the phone number, there are quite a few sites that allow you to do this. If the address or phone number don't jive with is name, call him and ask why.

Use ONLY a POSTAL MONEY ORDER. There are 4 reasons for this:

1) it's traceable;
2) if it gets lost, you can file a claim and get your money back;
3) he can cash it immediately and there is no problem with "bouncing checks" (see thread on SWB BBS, RE:Spidey 4x4);
4) if he doesn't send it but cashes the money order, it's a FEDERAL CRIME as it's MAIL FRAUD, so he can be prosecuted in big people's court, the penalty is very harsh. Also, if he sends a pile of junk, he can still be prosecuted.

Pay the extra $2 and get the Tracking Confirmation both ways, on your money order and on the T-case. This will eliminate the "I never got it" syndrome, and you can track both items easily over the web. You can also go one step further and put "Return Receipt Requested", where he has to sign for it, and they send you the copy, so you know he got the money order. Tracking will just show you it didn't get lost, it won't show you if he actually got it. Also, make sure he insures the T-case, just in case it gets damaged.

I have done a LOT of business from Ebay, and some private transactions as well, only had one money order lost on me, and I got my money back because it was actually lost. Otherwise no problems dealing with people I don't know, for years.

Keep any and ALL correspondence with him, save it until the transaction is completed. This includes a record of all phone calls and a dialogue of what was talked about. If you need to go to court, or prosecute him, it'll be invaluable. I have never had this happen, but still do it anyway, just to cover my own butt.

On small ticket items I don't worry, but something like this I would take the extra steps to ensure everything went smoothly.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 10:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

well, theres a few ways to do it. you can send him the money in good faith. if you got it on ebay or other auction like that, based on my experiences, its ok to send $$$ up front. BUT, if its a private individual whom you have never met, thats different. ask folks you know if they know anything about the person. amazing who knows who on here. if all else fails, pay the extra $6 and have him/her send package to you C.O.D.....
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks a lot. I have already talked to him on the phone and I will check the address. I was going to get the money orders through my bank nut I will use the ones from the post office now.
Thanks again
Nate

88 hardtop, custom SPOA, 31's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 10:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Us a money order from walmart the are 47 cents. The cheapest you will find.

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 10:59 AM

I deal with people online all the time and haven't been burned yet. Chances are if he's a Sami owner he's a decent guy (as most are). Since you've called him and talked to him in person you're probably alright. But, I like the idea of doing a small background check...

If it were me I wouldn't worry about too much and just send him a postal money order.

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case (not sure how I like it), 29 Super Swampers (31 BFG M/T knock offs - eventually) AARRRRRRRG!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode