Eliptical nightmare. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 01:12 AM
Alfie

Eliptical nightmare.

I just recently had some work done on my Zook to fit a buggy leaf system.
As I can't weld I went to a 4x4 outfitter and showed him a pic of PPillards Zook and said that's what I want.
Well for some reason only he could explain, he did it completely different.
It's a cock up.
I aint very happy, it just don't work. No real extra travel, spring hits the frame on every bump.
Even when I doctored it as best as I could it it's no better than my revolvers, maybe an inch or so and the ride is untenable.
He says he will put it right, but I am in great doubt if I want to go through with this now. I am disillusioned.
I have spent enough, and been without my Zook for too long. I have Ranchos now with the top mounts moved in board
but the Right shock has hit the diff and put a dent in the shock.
And they did it in a way that allowed them to leave the filler tube stock. So I aint even got that mod done.

What's the consensus out there on the gains from a buggy spring over a Revolver shackle ? Will it
be worth the added misery?

Does a buggy spring have an inherent harsh ride as the top spring leaves the frame and smacks back into it ?

Is this the price I pay for not going SpOA ? I wanted maximum down travel, not ride height. I only run 31s.

Thanks,
Alfie.

1990 Sammy, Headers, K&N, OME 2" springs, front axle 15mm forward, Monroes and Ranchos, Glind Shower,
Milford cargo barrier,
5:43 Calmini R&Ps, 2" body lift, Revolvers all round, Almost 3/4 eliptical in back.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 01:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Eliptical nightmare.

swap to wrangler springs in a spring over and forget about buggy leaves or revolvers. you'll get lots of flex and they will work better. just my op.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 02:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Alfie
If I were you I would get the camera out and take some pictures. That would be easier for the guru's to see what's been done. A buddy of mine has Buggy and loves it. He puts a u-bolt on it when on the street and once on the trail takes it off. Sounds like they took a spring with too much arch and it's actually away from the frame. Whe you hit a bump it compresses and hit the frame..........
That's all I got. Good luck!

DannyL

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 03:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alfie you can weld get cheap 200 amp stick welder, helmet and some rods.
Do some test welding you will do fine after little practice.
Skip 4x4 outfitter most them know nada about Sam.
Always do it yourself that's best way.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 08:38 AM

Alfie,

It sounds to me as though the 4x4 shop has installed buggy leafs with too much arch in them - is the end where the shackle is bolted to away from the frame when the vehicle is sitting still? Either that, or like someone else posted, they are flexing when you take a little weight off of them & crashing back onto the frame. Lotta Toyota guys running buggy leaf spring setups on the Pirate4x4 board - might be a good idea to ask them if they encounter similar problems.

HTH,

OILBURNER [email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 09:10 AM

Hey Alfie, sorry you're havin' such a prob with this mod. If you're not gettin' any additional flex and they didn't have to relocate the gas fill line, then they likely used some really short buggy-leafs. I would love to see some pics of your setup. Yes, they will slap around a bit on the trail, but you can put some rubber dampeners in there to help with that. Also, see what is holding your axle in check. Are your shocks really short? They could be maxing out, depending on how they are mounted, and holding your axle back from it's full droop. I had some decently long shocks when I went SpOA, and using the RRO kit, my poor shocks were almost maxed just sitting in the parking lot. I completely rebuilt my upper-rear shock mounts to allow for a lot more travel. I also made sure I did that before I installed the buggies. Anyway, I might be able to offer some more help if you get some pics up. Another bit of advice, someone else has posted that you get yourself a cheap stick welder and learn to weld. It is easy and worth your time! And it makes building your own zook a lot more fun and cheap, and you won't have to worry about payin' someone else to screw up your rig (you can do it yourself ;^> ).

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, Cal 4.16 t-case, Lkd Frt, welded rear, 8-point Roll Cage, etc, etc.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 09:13 AM

Agreed. 4X4 shops are used to working on Jeeps and Blazers and the like. Zooks are completely foreign to them and they don't have enough respect for them, thinking them as for "light off-road use". Hence, they will do a light, cheesy job on them...and likely over-charge you, too.

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, Cal 4.16 t-case, Lkd Frt, welded rear, 8-point Roll Cage, etc, etc.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 07:08 PM
Pooh-Bah

Unless you live in or near Cleveland where there are 2 Zuki nuts who work at a 4WD shop ;-) haha

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 01:27 AM
Alfie

Kando, I WILL do. I'm gonna get me a F&%$*N Welder and learn even if I die tryin.
I am SICK to death of ....... oh what's the use. I'll get me a welder and sort it out like I want it.
You're right and I shoulda done it a long time ago cos I know what I want and if you want it done right, DO IT YOURSELF. Right?
And when I get a digicamera i'll show you all how it turns out.
Alfie.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 05:39 AM
zukikid

if i payed some one to do a job...and told them what i wanted ,and they did it differently from what i told them...i would park my rig in front of their shop and show the faulty workmanship to every customer comeing in and out of their shop...but thats just me :-)
of coarse i would give them the chance to make it right first, but people got to answer up for their sh*t somtime
zukikid

proud owner of the SUPER stock zuk. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode